Monday, December 04, 2023

Grasses

This week I finally got out to pick some weeds and try to get some really artistic grass photos.

Yeah. What about grasses? They have interesting textures in November and December. 

These were parts of nature that I'd never looked at before. I mean come on...grass? What is interesting about grass?

Years ago, my supervisor at the Power Plant and I would walk along the perimeter fence and I'd point out wild flowers. He'd point out different grasses.

I'd nod and look at the delicate grasses that he'd name and then I'd point out a wildflower.

I wish I'd paid more attention to his knowledge of grasses.

The varieties are endless: bluestem grasses, switch grass, wild rye, indian grass, and dropseed grasses. 

I don't know bupkis about grasses. Nada. Nothing.

But I was enchanted by the grasses I found alongside the cropland in the neighbor's land.


I mean, it is just grass right? Weeds? 





Fall grasses fading
glowing gold in 
the morning sun
waiting for the 
snows...


Once the winter snows flatten the grasses, they will drop their seeds and burst forth again in the spring. I guess I never thought about grasses that way. It was just grass. But like everything else in the forest that I admire, it seeks to rejuvenate just as other plants do.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't know

much.

Abstract designs by 
~Grasses





13 comments:

  1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you found beauty!! Love the highlighted shades and whimsical simplicity. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You know it was you that led me to looking at grasses as an artform of nature!

      Delete
  2. The first photo is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved that one also, but that last abstract-ish one is sort of my favorite for all the shapes and swirls.
      :)

      Delete
  3. Winter grasses are so much more interesting than green grasses! I love when they are covered with frost, or bending beneath a snowfall.
    Love the first photo- they look like caterpillars on stems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I never really studied grasses until this year. Seems each year I find something new to look at.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos. You convinced me of the beauty in grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, there sure seems to be beauty out there even when the world can be a bit ugly! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6:18 PM

    Beautiful photos. I shall be more mindful after seeing your work.
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  6. And then their are sedges:) Some grasses are really sedges:) Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes simple beauty is the best.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.