Saturday, December 16, 2023

December Colors?

What colors does December offer in
the dullest of all the months
of the year?




December is known for being the most overcast and dark month of the year. Well, at least for those of us in this part of the world.

The days are cold, dull, overcast...and the days get shorter and shorter. What beauty can be found outdoors in this month? Last month I challenged myself with November. Now? Maybe I'll challenge myself with December.

At least that will be easy for moment. There have been some great morning and evening skies to admire.

A long time friend that used to be a neighbor and I went with her son on Thursday evening just after sunset for a night hike along old 131 trail in the Kickapoo Valley Reserve.

When we dropped from the ridge to the valley, the temperatures dropped at least 10 degrees. My friends commented on that and I suggested we walk up and out of the valley. We did. As we walked, we were able to catch glimpses of meteors streaking across the sky. This was at 6PM when the meteor shower was not supposed to be at its peak. 

We were able to find the Milky Way and searched for any other stars or constellations we could recognize. I'm not very good at that at all. We found the Big Dipper on the northern horizon and the Milky Way stretched overhead from East to West.  I wanted to take a couple of shots, but that takes time to do.

I asked Briar who will be turning 12 next week to be my model. He was cold but he agreed to stand still and look up into the sky with a headlamp on.


This was a one shot deal and thankfully, I got it!

Those guys were chilled, so we hiked back to the car and drove to their house where we visited for a while before I left.

I got up early the next morning to continue my early morning walks with Charlie. I normally hike across the fields so I can watch the sun come up and enjoy the quiet sounds of the rest of the world waking up.


I was not disappointed at all. The skies lit up like fire. 

I set the camera in the cornfield and put it on a timer. I trotted out a little distance so I could capture myself enjoying the show.


It sure was incredible. And it seemed as if it were never ending.


Charlie and I walked back towards home and noticed that the only sounds we heard were a few birds and some dogs barking off in the distance.
We had the whole world to ourselves.

Tonight we are supposed to have patchy fog and rain. Sunrise on the ridge tomorrow morning might be worth looking into. Fog always makes things much more interesting.

The colors aren't just in the sky for December. I hope to find something exciting in the forest also.

Looking for colors in December.
A good challenge.


9 comments:

  1. Great shots of the beautiful sky! A few more days and it will get lighter again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Then I will have to walk earlier and earlier! hah!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:03 AM

    Fabulous photos! The colors!!!!! Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some beautiful mornings this month!

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos! Where I live, Central NJ, we often get brilliant sunshine in November and December, like today, needing sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got some really good photos. We had rain last night and it is dreary today. Hopefully it stays above freezing for awhile

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah you found beauty in December! Love the headlamp shot with the Milky Way. There's beauty everywhere if one looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are lovely. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible is the word! INCREDIBLE

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.