Friday, May 29, 2020

Disappointed

Yesterday Rich had a Nuclear Bone Scan scheduled by the VA at a local Hospital. We'd chosen Community Care mainly because of the distance we'd have to travel.

We'd put off the appointment once as had been scheduled during the first part of March.
The nurse that had called us the day before said we had to wear masks. This was to be the first day that they would allow a second person to accompany the patient. I was pleased about that.

So we arrived during a downpour. I helped Rich with his mask that I'd made. Rich is doing better, but this was his first time wearing a cloth mask was hard for him to breath through.

Some nurse looking people in masks were there to greet us and direct us to sanitize our hands before proceeding to the check in desk. Ok. This is where I was a bit disappointed.
I expected to be temp checked. We were not.

So that is my tiny disappointment. When we checked in other patients had trouble figuring out the red X's on the floor to keep distances. It got pretty frustrating when people wandered right up behind us to ask the check in gal something. She tried her best to keep order.
I'm going to say that in some of these patients' defense that they just don't seem to understand the 6 foot concept.

[I see that often with the much more elderly in our local Walmart so I am assuming that for some folks these Covid-19 rules are difficult and confusing?]

The poor check in gal! She kept trying to tell patients to please wait. One old fella just ignored her and kept walking up to all the windows. Another? Just came up behind us and stood.

Exasperated, the check in gal muttered: *I think masks turn off their hearing, vision, and thinking.*
She did have a point. I think one of those ladies at the door could have acted as a hallway monitor and helped out. Instead they were chatting with each other and not watching the rest of the lobby.

[This is a new era with new rules and to be honest, some people are really confused. Especially at a very rural hospital/clinc. However, I won't be going back there. I'm pretty sure that they won't even get the Community Care Billing correct.]

After updating Rich's information which still had him married to his ex wife, we got taken to a waiting room. Those waiting rooms are small and right now they only allow 2 patients at a time in it. Rich and I counted as one as we were from the same household.

There was a fellow in there that was rather chatty. He told us about all of his aches and pains. He then asked where we were from, Rich told him. He then complained about the LaFarge Dam project never being completed. He said it was stopped because of some stupid animal or something. 
Rich chimed in and repeated that agreeing with him in a way.

I had enough. "It was not an animal. It is a plant," I informed him. Before I could explain the fellow jumped on that.

"Well what kind of stupid plant stops progress?"

I took a deep breath. This guy was a large CAFO operator. Confined Animal Feeding Operation. And I thought ~~ Progress MY foot! I knew that further discussion with either man was going to fall on deaf ears.

The LaFarge Dam project was stopped just before completion because an extremely rare plant had been found. The rare plant and rare environment would have been destroyed by the Dam and resulting lake.

It has always been a source of local disdain as farmers lost their land due to the project. You could read about it here: The Dam That Never Was.

Suffice to say many older people are still angry about how the project turned out and how the land became a place for out door activities. In my opinion, I am sad about its history, but so happy that it is there!

"The stupid plant is so rare that it is on the Wiscosin Threatened and  Federal Threatened List," I said, knowing that the men wouldn't understand. "There are only a few places in our country that it grows. The environment that it grows in is very rare too."

As I thought.
The men both asked, "And what good is this plant for?"

I shrugged. They would NOT understand. A CAFO farmer who felt the land was merely his. And all land was here to serve him?
Okay so I made a snap judgement.

I guess knowing that I am a un-certified Naturalist, I'd see things differently. I've always appreciated the Kickapoo Valley Reserve, however I am not a native to this land so I don't have the painful history with it that some folks do.

Mr. CAFO farmer then dumped another bombshell that we didn't need to hear. He said, "Hey you a Veteran? My brother in law was a Veteran and he went for a test and caught the Corona and no one would do anything about it. He died."


Ever want to get up and slap someone?

And last but not least, a photo from the Kickapoo Valley Reserve that is a memorial to what used to be there.






Some days I am just disappointed in humanity.
And others?
I am amazed at their ability for kindness and empathy. We need more kindness right now.






5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:41 AM

    We do need more kindness, sometimes though it takes all we’ve got to not jump up and slap someone!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do and there seems to be so much angst and 'hate' going around right now. How are you doing?

      Delete
  2. I think I know how you feel. Part of it is that the world has to change to cope with the pandemic and we are getting swept along whether we like it or not. I always try to think the best of people but sometimes I'm glad I have a place to hide out here at home. I don't understand mental illness or why people are so angry about whatever. When I hear that the suicide rate is up I understand why but I don't really empathize, except with those left behind. I"m not good with other people's feelings period.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I wish it had been better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always expect perfect and I am pretty used to adjusting, so I was disappointed but I was not frustrated or angry.
      People don't take change or life adjustments well my husband included. He also is very old school in his way of thinking along with his mental health issues it has taught me to be compassionate and a bit more lenient. You have a great weekend Debbie.

      Delete
  3. Yes more kindness....for sure. I am so sorry to hear you had a struggle in the Clinic...you are correct the Nurses checking Temperatures ...well they should have been checking temps should have controled the traffic and held some people at the door or outside. Frustrating for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.