Thursday, January 31, 2019

The Big Chill

I know it was cold very cold.

Cold enough to keep me from catching my breath when I went outside if I pulled my second scarf down.
There was a wind chill on the first day that was brutally cold, it cut through my two layers and my heavy coveralls.

But the hay needed to be put out.

I went out as soon as they cleaned up their morning hay and gave them more. The water in the heated tank steamed.

Later on I looked out the window and saw mules relaxing in the sunshine. They were sound asleep.


Not a great shot, but there you go. Siera and Sunshine sleeping in the sunshine during a Polar Vortex.

This morning was absolutely beautiful, the snow sparkled with little reflections of white.
The treeless pasture in front of the house had been windswept.

This morning's temperature was supposed to be something like -32, but there was no longer a wind.

I bundled up and took Mica her morning warm water. She drank and snuffled for her morning grain. Everyone has frost on their eyelashes.

Somewhere in the distance I heard a loud pop. I recall hearing that trees did that in super subzero temperatures. A little later I could hear the neighbor's vehicle driving up the gravel road from nearly a mile away.
The snow sparkled, the sun topped the trees...
and the morning was spectacular but cold.


We'd made it through the worst.


3 comments:

  1. Good news that you all made it through. This morning was still -40 here and it wasn't supposed to be that cold. -6 now that is the high for today. Feels almost warm:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I did get out for the first time in ages and took hubby to see a local doctor...

      Delete
  2. Warmer here -10 this a.m. sunny , about 6" of snow. Storm not as bad as predicted. Anxious to see what the Groundhog says!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.