Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Stormy with a cold wind comin'


Here is one of my cold weather 'get ups'. No skin showing, no skin to get frostbitten. Or so I hope.



Here is the 'lame' skidsteer and the 'Ru parked up by the house. I normally park it by the horse trailer but neighbor Justin and I worked out that if I parked here, he could do the turn around for me.
It worked perfectly.


Charlie was not entirely sure about leaving the porch as the snow was over his head.
Later on he did some snow tunneling while I shoveled off the porch and made a path to the shed.

With all critters fed and extra hay laid out for mid day chores walked up the driveway to go check the mail.


I have to admit, Justin and Lauren are incredible neighbors. Hands down, country folk are the best. I stopped in with an invite for coffee from Lauren and she helped me brush up on my Excel Spreadsheet skills while we visited.
By the time I left, the temperatures were warm enough to use the outside hydrant.


With temps dropping to -32 on Wednesday morning, I didn't want to take a chance on filling the heated tank in that cold. I was afraid that the self drain would freeze and I'd have no outside water.
Mica and Dixie got tepid water as did Lil' Richard. I got that in the house and my new cold weather routine is to hand water them about 5 times a day. I wish I had heated buckets for their paddocks.

I had to stomp a trail down the hill so I could drain the hose after watering from the hydrant. 
With that done, I picked up the shovel and started making a wide path from the driveway to the porch.

I had help from the dogs....

If you could call it that...
I think Charlie had the upper hand even though he is much smaller. I let them play for as long as I could let them. No outings for the dogs for the next 3 days.


I'll finish up with Charlie and his snow snuffling.

It is pretty cute.

All in all, I got a lot accomplished and even laid out piles of feed for the cold spell. That way I can just grab it and toss it in the sled and go.
I'm hoping to be able to feed everyone at least 3 times a day.

I thought about a middle of the night feeding. But I have to admit it.
Dark?
Winds?
Dangerous Cold?
No, I'll have to do it at dawn and dusk and give them enough to last most of the night.

The thought of this cold really frightens me.
I wonder if some of these younger folk understand what this bitter and dangerous cold will do to them?

Anyway...the sun is coming up, time to wrap up and head out.
We are at our warmest for today at -7 according to the local website.

Dang. I forgot that thermometer once again!

Most schools will be closed in the surrounding area. Many local businesses have shortened their hours from 9am to 3pm. The Governor has declared a State of Emergency for all counties. I think he was wise.

Time to get out some items to practice Still Life Photography and perhaps work on my spreadsheets along with a few other indoor projects.

Stay warm.

2 comments:

  1. Fun to see happy dogs playing! Good thing Charlie is black or he could get lost in the snow! Taking care of the animals is hard work, looks like you have the proper gear. Good to hear you won't go out at night...it is bitterly cold.
    Stay warm! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd go out but decided not to because no one would know it if something happened to me! Eeeks!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.