Wednesday, January 02, 2019

I did it. Can't ... Can.


The driveway. I have a love hate relationship with it.

The driveway is steep. That makes it a challenge in the winter time when there is a heavy snow fall or an ice storm.
This shot is from part of the way up the hill.

Below is a shot from a or so ago. You can see my husband driving the skidsteer up the hill.


With the six inches of snow that fell on New Year's Eve, I was faced the next morning with how to approach the delicate subject of getting the driveway cleaned up.
My neighbor Justin had offered to do the hill and I thought I could get Rich to do the flat section.

That conversation did not go as expected.
Rich said emphatically, "No." He was not going to try and get in the skidsteer or go outside.

I asked if I could try.
"No."
Me: But could I try at least?
Him: No. You can't. You don't have the depth perception to do it.
Me: I can be very careful.
Him: No.

We sat in silence for about a half hour. I had another cup of coffee and then stood up.
Me: Well then, I guess I best go unplug your skidsteer. I know Justin will do the steep hill.
Him [not looking at me]: Whatever. Just. Okay, be careful.
Me [big breath]: Okay. I will.





Well.
It took me a long time but I got it done. I filled my face with snow a few times when I raised the bucket and the wind blew. Poof, snow face.
It wasn't as bad as I thought.
And..
I did not
run into anything
or break anything.

I considered it a success. It certainly wasn't the nicest job around, but it got done.

I never thought I could operate a skid steer and a bucket, but I did.

My Grandma used to say there is no such thing as the word *Can't*.
She might be right.

7 comments:

  1. Good job. I wish more women would realize that most equipment is no harder to operate than a car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have admired you for a long time for taking the initiative to do things just like this. However my husband usually would not allow me to try this in other circumstances.

      Delete
  2. It's fun to run machinery! The guys know that and want to keep it their secret! You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am figuring that out. 4 wheeler, zero turn mower, ... what next? :) Time to get out the chain saw?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I did use his older skid steer when he was in the hospital once before, this one has so many electronics and 'stuff' on it! But the principal is the same. It was a first with the bucket though!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9:00 AM

    Yay you!! I find a wonderful sense of empowerment when using power equipment. Once you are aware of the potential dangers from falling trees and the chain you will find using a chain saw is no different then any other tool - and it's fun too.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.