Friday, December 28, 2018

But you never wrote a testimonial!

I showed up at the 11 am class for CrossFit yesterday and had some a few minutes with the coach who runs the program.
We talked about the benefits of social interaction, de-stressing for CareGivers, Physical Therapy, emotional well-being, and the general aspects of trying to maintain strength and balance.


Then I told Josh how awesome I'd felt since joining CrossFit. Josh smiled and said, "But you've never written a testimonial!"
Ahhh. Well perhaps I haven't in so many words....


Let's take a look at this. 
Perhaps CrossFit is another way to let the everyday person go to the gym with a dynamic purpose. For me it has been about being around people who want to work out. 

I had friends who questioned my sanity to pay money to have a Coach to help me work out. Val, you are in shape, you are in better shape at 62 years old than most people in their 30's! 

Well that was no surprise for me. I haven't been able to get a single person my own age to hike with me. To ride with me. To run across the meadow and through the creek....to jump rocks with me...to night hike with me...to ski with me...
ever...

Please don't think I am bashing older women. I am not. We all are what we are.

I just might be a bit more adventurous. Or maybe just crazy. For those who don't know me that well, hmmm, I once had a conversation with my father when we were in Hawai'i after the Iron Man Triathlon...
Dad said he'd he thought it would be kind of cool to participate in the Triathlon. 
We walked arm and arm down Ali'i drive in 2001 and talked about sports, physical fitness, and health. Dad was a health buff. I think he would have loved CrossFit workouts. Dad was in his early 80's at the time of this conversation.

Oh don't get me wrong, I have not mastered a lot of the lifts that they do in CrossFit. Dead lifts [the farmer in me says: picking up dead animals and ... well you get it...], Clean Jerks [I always thought that referred to guys that showered before being crappy dates], Power Clean [naturally...extra soap in the washer], Front Squat, Push Jerk [what you do to the Clean Jerks after a crappy date], Snatch [not going there...], Overhead Squat [well that doesn't even compute...], and
the Medicine Ball Clean [say whut?].

There are things on the board for warm ups called Superman, Deadbug, ... then there are Wall Balls, Muscle Ups, WODS, AMWRAPS, and other confusing terms. 
Ahhh, but don't worry. That is why there is a coach! The Coach helps you through this confounding lingo and terminology.

My son Ed encouraged me to try the CrossFit. He said I'd love it. He said I'd hate it. So far, the hate part hasn't happened, thank goodness.

Before CrossFit I was the wimp, but I thought I was in shape. 
Whoa is me for those first few times I had to unload a truck full of small bales of hay. I could barely walk the next day. I blamed it on two shoulder surgeries, one elbow surgery, and the fact that the bales were probably about half my body weight.

I started CrossFit in October. It is nearly the end of December. My son had advised me to go at least 3 times a week. Yes, I do listen to my son. Most times I made 3 to 4 times a week. I worked hard and the coaches have tailored my workouts to my abilities.

A week ago I had to go get that dreaded truck-full of small hay bales. As I was unloading this truckload of hay I started to worry about all the pain I'd been in the next day after...well after unloading a truck load of hay and then stacking them.

As I started tossing bales, I wondered if my hay guy had messed with me and gave me lighter bales. Ed's bales generally are compact and about 45 lbs a piece. I tossed the bales off the truck and then as I picked them up...
I could hear Josh and the other CrossFit coaches ... 'Use your core, throw from the hips, shoulder blades together, protect your rotator cuffs, swing that kettle bell!'

I whipped those bales off the truck and tossed them, then stacked them. I was finished in about 30 minutes. And I wasn't even breathing hard.
I wasn't winded.
And the next morning I was able to move as if I had done nothing more strenuous than dusting the house [oh, dusting is a terrible chore...I'd rather clean up poopy stalls].

So I told Coach Josh that CrossFit had obviously helped me. I know it has.
My balance is better, it was never really bad..but it is much better now. My strength is better, my shoulders and elbows are stronger than ever before.
I won't lie.
The arthritis in my thumb joints and wrist can scream out with a bit of anguish during certain workouts. But...
But...

I see so much improvement in all other aspects of my life that I cannot see discontinuing CrossFit.

I am my own champion. 
And besides...
Who can deny the exercise enduced endorphins. 
Why do I feel good all day after CrossFit? 
Perhaps it is the same thing I felt when I was in my 20's. How good I felt after a 10 mile run or running a 10k and finishing with a PR?

So there Josh. There is your testimonial.
CrossFit at Viroqua Wellness Center is awesome.


Take that!


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:24 AM

    What an incentive for me to keep up my activity level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy the interaction and the fact this has all made my outdoor hiking feel more enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. Josh needs to have you write the description for his class! Those were hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.