Thursday, August 30, 2018

The Great Teddy Bear Rescue


So, do you remember the Thrift shop excursion I had in July with my friends?
We thought it would be funny to set my Thrifty Teddy Bears in down near the quiet little creek in a chair and see what occurred when wildlife walked by.

And we got some interesting results.


Alas.

The rain was predicted to go north and I'd been down to see the bears and the creepy doll we'd set up in the chairs that afternoon.

Then the storm shifted and ...

I kicked myself for not anticipating the waters and had left the toys on their own...

After the waters receded from our creek, I decided to take Dixie for a look see.
Most of the main roads in our area were closed because of high water anyway so I really couldn't go anywhere really.
Hiking seemed like a good idea.

Below is what the area looked like after the waters went through. I am shooting towards the top where I had stood the day before looking down.


Dixie was more than willing to go on an adventure.
I left Charlie at home because I didn't know how much mud, sticks, logs, and other items I'd have to climb over.

Dixie is a great hiker, she never goes far and I never have to wonder where she is off too.


This spot was choked with Jewel Weed and other plants just a few days before.

So on we went.

The water had laid down all of the tall grasses as it swept through the area. The creek changes with each flash flood. Sometimes the changes are large and sometimes very minimal.

This wasn't the worst flood, but it did change things drastically. Maybe not to the casual observer, but I have hike this route for 20 plus years and know each boulder, rock, and formation by heart.

This rock is gone...or it is covered...or turned over...but I miss 'him' I called it Old Man Rock.


A sandy 'beach' is new by the place where we have the Ice Wall each winter.

This was filled with so many rocks it was difficult to walk over...

Dixie and I kept our eyes peeled. Well, Dixie's nose was working over time. Both of us smelled a dead animal somewhere close by.


I spotted something that didn't look like sticks...

I saw the blue ribbon and was rather surprised.

I wonder if the Teddy Bear was as relieved as I was!

Actually I'd figured that I'd never find him/her in this long valley. I picked it up by the ear and kept heading downstream.
I found the Beach Chair just a bit further down. It seemed unharmed but stuck under a log.


I'd wait for the Gang to show up to help me dig it out.

Just prior to getting to the snowmobile trail, I saw a spot of blue. And I thought that NO way could this plastic chair be in one piece.

However.

It was. I plopped the Teddy Bear down on the chair and turned to leave. Dixie and I were going to walk to the end of the valley and I'd pick the chair and the bear up on my way back.

I don't think the Teddy Bear was too happy about that.

We found the snowmobile crossing. Hmm. They may have to re route this year.
I'm standing in the spot where the culvert is. I am about 5 feet below the crossing.


I found the culvert downstream.


Dixie and I walked alongside the creek and kept our eyes peeled.
We didn't find the other bear nor did we find the creepy looking doll.

We did find bottles, part of a plate, part of a bread wrapper, some dead trout, and a lighter.
Odd the things that show up after a flash flood.



We headed back home where I gave the Teddy Bear a nice bath in the creek.

I set him high on the bank in the sun to dry.

Smart Bear.

Do not sit in the creek or right on the edge ... even in a dry season!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.