Friday, August 03, 2018

Spiders!

Charlie was nagging me early this morning.

I waited until the sun was breaking over the trees and decided to go look for dew laden spider webs. You can usually start finding them about this time of year.

I walked out back to check on the mules and noticed webs hanging from a dead ash tree in the meadow.

It looked like I'd have to go into the meadow to look for dew laden webs.



I found them.
And Charlie enjoyed getting totally soaked in the tall grass.

He got busy with something in the grass. I'm sure he was seeking out tasty bits of rabbit poop or deer poop.

I found a large web and walked over towards it.
It started to wobble.

I saw something yellow and thought I'd get closer.
That is until I saw what it was!


YES! Large spiders do make me squeamish. I was grateful I'd chosen the prime 85mm lens that allowed me to put some distance between myself and this fella.

Apparently this is a 'Garden Spider' and if you get near its web it will bounce its web to distract predators. I had to wait a long time to get a clear shot of it.
Note the grasshopper in the web on the left.
I wondered why I haven't seen these before. Maybe I just wasn't looking properly.

I got a few shots and then decided to move on back home and get some well deserved coffee.

I got sidetracked by this ox eye daisy...


It was just soooo perfect.

And as I headed towards the house, I saw another large web that I hadn't seen on the way out to the meadow.
Probably because the sun wasn't shining on it when I walked passed it.

Viola, another Black and Yellow Garden Spider!
This time I didn't scare it.


And that is how my Friday started.

1 comment:

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.