Thursday, August 02, 2018

Making a Car Seat for Charlie

So after looking at many of the 'booster' seats for small dogs and car seats that are available on line, I decided to see if there were any hints at a Do It Yourself car/booster seats for little dogs.

I needed somewhere to start.

I didn't like the flimsy materials that most of the seats were made from. It seemed that they would come apart quickly. Most of them claimed to be 'booster' seats, but from what I could read in reviews and see in photos, that tiny dogs like Charlie still could not see out the windows.

So I started by looking at purchasing a laundry basket that would fit nicely in the Subaru seat. As I wandered the store I came across some plastic crates that were very sturdy and looked like a perfect fit for Charlie and the seats in the 'Ru.

The laundry basket was about $7, the crate I chose was $3.50. I took an old pillow I'd made years ago for tossing on the couch [I've hardly ever used it] and put it in the bottom of the crate. I then took an old pillow and covered it with a dark colored pillow case and set them in the crate.


Since the edges of the hard plastic sort of bothered me, I added two old towels to the very bottom and put everything back in.
Sorry for it being blurry, Charlie was curious and I guessed I moved...

Next, would Charlie sit in it? I took him out with the crate to the 'Ru and set him in the passenger seat. He sat still and gave me a look that said he wasn't sure about going for a ride, but he'd do it.

I just had to move the 'Ru so I backed up and drove up the driveway a bit and then turned around and parked it. He stared out the window with wonder...I think.

Next I'd have to rummage around and come up with a strap to keep the crate attached to the seat and a hook up for Charlie's harness.
I found an old adjustable strap I found in stuff that I should have tossed but haven't.
It will anchor the crate to the seat and keep it from moving around in case of a quick stop.


Charlie does an inspection.
He fits perfectly!
I found an old leash and tied it to the back of the crate. In the living room, Charlie was pretty sure he didn't want to stay in the crate. He jumped out of it tipping the crate.


However, he did have to re-inspect my work.
He jumped back in.
I guess that is a good sign.



I took him for another test run and he sat still in the seat while I drove to the mail box and back. He liked being able to just barely see out the window. I wonder if one more pillow underneath the crate would work?

By the way, he wears a harness while in the seat and on most of our off the farm adventures. I think he likes the harness and he knows when that appears we are going on a mini trip.

Perhaps I should put something down on the seat too in case he gets sick. I am hoping that this little DIY project will make Charlie a happier traveler. I do just love taking him places.

But for just a few dollars, I think I've come up with a workable 'booster/car seat' for Charlie.

Everything is washable too!


Tahhhh Dahhh!
He likes it!
We did one last test drive tonight, just to the mail box and back again.

He looks rather smug doesn't he?



4 comments:

  1. That is a very clever idea! I am so glad that he likes it, and I hope you can have many happy traveling adventures together! Good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our dogs love to ride in the car and I have a "dog hammock" in the back seat of my Subaru. I had to laugh when I saw the pillow at the bottom of your crate. I have one with the exact fabric in addition to 3 other horse pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:19 PM

    Great use of materials you already have! He looks so smug and self satisfied sitting there with the 'look at me' expression. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie does look smug! :) And maybe even a bit happy!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.