Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Oh Morris...

Some days he can be found on 'his' couch resting like this. In fact this is most of the time now.

I took him with me to check the trail cam in the woods two days ago and we got to the meadow and he turned around. He looked at me and turned back towards the house. He ignored my calls and as I followed him he began to trot.

He went to the back door and sat next to it.

"You have got to be kidding me Morris!" I said.
He stared at the door and ignored me.

I let him in the house and with a sad heart walked away to take care of the trail cam and check on the cattle.

Yesterday afternoon I got out his leash and his collar with the tags on. He came trotting to me bright eyed. I brought his travel bowl and a bottle of water. We were going to walk with the neighbor to fetch her children from the bus stop.

Rich asked if I thought Morris could make the whole walk. I said if he didn't, I'd carry him. Off we went. When Morris saw Logan he was full of his normal Jack Russell self. A wagging tail and wiggly body.
He trotted with Logan for a bit before Logan ran back to help his dad do something.

My neighbor and I walked on. It is about 1 mile to the bus stop. She could drive to pick the kids up, but we thought it would be a great way to get a bit of exercise and conversation in at the same time.

Morris walked along sniffing and being just fine. I had one of those leashes that allows the dog to 'unwind' and walk out ahead. Morris was content, his little ears flapping and tail up.

We got to the bus stop just before the bus pulled up. Allie and Carson came out and we could hear Allie's voice as she departed the bus.

"MORRIS!"
Allie is one of the many of Mr. Morris's favorite kids. He perked up and his little stub tail literally vibrated.

Allie and Carson pet Morris and said hi to us. Allie wanted to hold the leash and off they went walking towards home.

Part of the way home we ran into our ridge neighbor, Linda. She stopped and had to talk to the kids and ask how Morris was doing. She inquired as to how old he was now. I said he was 13. She remarked at how sleek and bright eyed he was. I replied that he wasn't quite the young dog he used to be and was slowing down quite a bit.
Linda offered to give Morris a ride home in her 4 wheeler. I said he would be fine.

We walked on towards home and Carson took a turn at walking Morris. We stopped at one point to give Morris water and he lapped it up. He drinks a lot more water now and the vet said he could have issues with diabetes.

I must say for an elder dog, he still likes to go for walks especially when he can be with children.
When we got home, he got another long drink and then curled up on his spot on the sofa with a huge sigh.

Morris has trouble seeing some things we think, we know he is getting more hard of hearing...or he is more selective. When he asks to go out, it means right now...don't wait.

My neighbor asked what would I do if something happens to Morris? I'm always thinking ahead.
First my heart would break, ... terribly.
Then I would be so sad.

And then there would be Dixie to pick up the slack for hikes and walks. But eventually I would get another inside pet.

Nothing will ever compare to Mr. Morris.
I've had too many dogs in my life to even try and compare them.


They were all incredibly special characters in their own way.

I'm thinking of developing some sort of sling or carrier for Morris when he wishes to go with me on some fall hikes. When he tires I can carry him.


He still has very good days.
And I hope they continue for a very long time.

4 comments:

  1. it's so hard when such friends grow older. I hope Morris is around for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing such a great job with Morris! I love the sling idea! Old Scout is only one month away from his 15th birthday and still going strong. I also agonize over the length of hikes, as I don't want to push it, and I really take in weather considerations, as hot weather makes him tire much quicker. You are obviously doing the best thing by observing when he has had enough. You both are doing good work, and I hope you are together for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Farm Buddy, the kids always perk him up. It is as though he lives to be around them.
    Cold and hot bother him now and he is smart enough to just let me know. Last spring we went on an all day adventure with friends. My friends all carried Morris on the trail and he loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morris sounds like a good communicator! A sling to carry him "just in case" sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.