Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Mushroom ID?

I wish I had a really good book on fungi and mushrooms. But I don't.

September is a neat time of the year to explore the woods in this area. We have misty foggy mornings and it produces neat mushroom/fungi, in the woods.


The morning light filters down through the leaves of the Hickory tree in our front yard. Sundance and Sunshine were waiting for me to come out. They were looking for hay but I transferred them to another pasture where there is a small growth of grass.


They will make quick work of this grass and eat the tastiest parts first.

It will be all 'hay' soon.

Sunday I ran across some neat fungi/mushrooms while hiking with my friends.

I have no idea what they are, only that they were very cool.


Gilled mushroom on a log near the creek. A great place for these little buggers to grow.


Not far from there some more stacked on a log. They are different I ... think. But I should go back and see what they look like after 3 days.

Now these were found on Sunday...

They were not on a log but perhaps growing from the roots of a tree nearby?
There were many growing around some singular and some grouped.




I thought their textures were really neat.

So I went back on Tuesday to see how they shaped up.

I found the single one, however it had been stepped on. I found the little group and was really surprised.
They were hard to spot and changed colors and shape.


And what the heck....

Who doesn't like a bit of slime fungi?


That's it for today. I hope to go out this afternoon and search the woods for some more exciting fungi.

PT for Rich, finish a spot of hand mowing, and get some groceries. I wonder if I'll be able to fit in some wood exploration.
I sure hope so.

September is an exciting time for the fungi in the woods. Soon I can hunt for the huge puffballs.

I'd like to get out and find some. I'm going to try some focus stacking for better and clearer photos of small objects.

2 comments:

  1. I love your photographs. The grass in this post especially. Love the light coming through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, September and October offer so much sunlit beauty in this area!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.