Thursday, September 26, 2019

Little get away


Last week it was Duck Egg for a quick get away.  Tuesday afternoon I used Rich's nap time to do some errands and ended up at Jersey Valley.

I had spent Monday after appointments mowing the 'hill' with the push mower. The grass hadn't been cut since I'd injured my ribs. Tuesday morning I'd mowed the bulk of the yard.
I ran the errands.
And then for whatever the reason, the Subaru drove to Jersey Valley. I got out and walked over to look at the lake and see if any of the trees had started to turn.

Here is a shot of the man made lake. You can see that the water level is at least 10 feet or so below what it used to be.


Here is the pavilion for picnics and what not...next to the playground and above what used to be the beach area.
Sorry...in Infrared!

If one turns around from facing the picnic area, you can see where the wing dam was breached by the flood waters last year.

I cannot even begin to imagine the volume of water that caused this, however there was a farmer that had a drone that did take footage of the water just after it happened. 

If you would like to watch it ... it is here:
Jersey Dam Failure

There is drone footage from before and after the storm.

Looking down from the picnic area towards the wing dam area.


...and from mid way down the rock slope...


This part of Jersey Valley is worth exploring now. The bedrock is exposed, there is a new tiny stream that flows from the lake ... and the rocks are a rockhound's dream come true.

I found a cool root to add to my collection of stick and roots.


I found gobs of neat and unusual rocks too.

I followed the new little stream which seems to be the new main attraction at JV.

This is where I found the tiny waterfalls. There actually are several along the way, but this one is about 3 feet tall and empties into a rock pool.


At this angle the pavillion doesn't look as high up as it really is and things are pretty deceptive looking. Only those with good balance and goat like skills should climb up and down the hill. Lots of loose stuff to trip you up.
Walking in the boulder field would be a challenge to those with weak ankles.

However, it is worth the hike to see some of the sights.


Like I said, the place is interesting!

If you take the time to look around, you find odd things, neat rocks, and unexpected things.


Jersey Valley, September 27th 2015.



I quickly wrapped up my quick little get away and headed back home.

After all, I had some more work to be done.
I'm finding that if I break my work up into two hour increments with a 'choice time' each day, I am a lot more efficient at getting things done.

My choice time can involve a nap, reading, walking, hiking, or visiting a close by county park.

I call them my little mental get aways.

This along with my return to CrossFit has been a good thing.

Now for my next project.
Cleaning the...shed...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.