Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Some folks like hot baths... I like...

To hike to relax.  Today was a great hiking afternoon.  I didn't have to go very far to find interesting things.

Morris came along, we'd walked Dixie already and she was napping in the house.

I know he was thrilled, especially when he found several 'icky' things to roll in!
He was in his glory of course.

After we found fresh coyote tracks, Morris stuck a bit closer to me and didn't run off to investigate every smell and sight that he could stuff in his nose.

We found that the creek was indeed very low further down the valley.  We are currently something like 6" short this year.  I don't think we are going to make it up before Dec 31st.


We got to the middle of the valley and found a the skull of a deer and some other bones.  The coyotes had made quick clean up of their kill.
The view from the valley looking back up towards the east was pretty awesome when see in a panoramic view.
The fall beauty has faded away leaving the forest with a washed out look.  Morris and I headed further east towards Black Bottom Creek.
I was really glad that I decided to go in that direction.  I'd forgotten how beautiful the creek could be when it was picking up the afternoon glow from the hills.

We turned around and simply went back home, retracing our steps.  I sometimes do that as a 'work out' ... meander around and then hike with a strong purpose back up through the valley towards home.

 
I simply cannot wait to do this again.  Although I'd like to hike Jersey Valley or Sidie Hollow next!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Always so great to read your posts! Very entertaining, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post and the pictures, to be out riding, hiking or just being surrounded by nature is so relaxing - I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.