Monday, March 26, 2012

Estate Planning



Okay, first let me say this is a 'not how to do it'...but 
an
'I am going through doing it.'

I emailed my son to ask some specifics.  Prior to meeting with the attorney, I have to fill out a lengthy questionnaire.  
Questions like who will be first choice in making your Healthcare decisions if you are unable to?
...and etc.
My son said it was creepy.

I talked with my stepdaughter on phone last night, I don't think her dad was comfortable with the paperwork.  It seems to unnerved him a bit.
I said to Steph, 'Okay, let's get the dead people paper work over with!'
She laughed.

After all, you don't settle your Estate and plan who will be your financial POA, healthcare POA, and work on all Estate matters for the living right?
You need to settle those matters hopefully before someone is unable to make decisions for themselves and decisions regarding end of life.

Okay, we don't have a HUGE Estate, we aren't blessed with gobs of money.  But we are going to make matters easier for those left behind us when something does happen.  I don't want to burden either my son or stepdaughter with these sort of decisions or burdens.

We are meeting with an Attorney who specializes in this on Wednesday.  What will it cost?  Well, I'll be finding out.

All I know, is that with a mixed family [both of us have been married previously and have children], that this is the best thing.
Lay out all of the decisions.

His daughter and my oldest son are good with this...as creepy as it is.




1 comment:

  1. You are doing the right thing. Some people are not comfortable with it and their kids end up with a mess. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.