Thursday, March 14, 2024

Surprises on another spring walk

Wednesday was going to be incredibly beautiful for the middle of March. Charlie and I took off for the Reserve again to check out some different ponds of water for wildlife.

Actually, we just wanted to get out and enjoy some sunshine and fresh air. I should have stayed home and raked the yard.

Hmmm. I think we took the better choice.



I figured to get some chill out time alone as the next 3 weekends are booked with visitors. I hope my son and his crew are up for taking the kids hiking at the Reserve with me if it isn't raining. It will wear out the kids and being outdoors is easier than being inside our little house.

I'm still in the bird 'hunting' mode. 

We came up on campsite C which a few years ago had some great views of one of the ponds. Unfortunately, the briars have grown back in and I didn't have the means to cut them down. But the Canada Geese were there in droves.

I shot this through the brush so it gives it an interesting look.


I liked the reflections of the clumps of grass on the pond water, so I took this shot which is not impressive at all. Well, what I didn't see through the brush were the turtles at the bottom of the photo!
I was tickled to see turtles here as I don't recall ever seeing them before on my spring hikes. I'm sure they live there, I just never thought about it.


Those clumps of grass remind me of Cousin It on the Munsters. 👀

I promised myself to come back to that one spot and clear out the 10 briars that kept me from sitting close to the shore to watch the birds.

I was looking for more Sandhill Cranes, I heard them at the pond that was south of where I was. So maybe this pond is too crowded with Canada Geese for them to want to share?


This is a large meandering pond but this one spot was crowded with geese.

On the other side of the Old 131 trail is another pond. This one has a floating dock with a bench for folks to sit on and watch the pond.

Nothing terribly interesting was happening there. However my Lego Friends decided they'd like to use the dock to do some bird watching themselves.



I took a side trip down a trail that used to have a campsite on the river shore and was since moved. Charlie and I walked down to the river.



The other side of the river is where the Little Canada Trail is. The river is quite low now due to the lack of rain. I am standing on an old campsite that got washed away in a few floods. Across the river one of those pines used to have a rope in it. 
Campers and Canoers would beach their canoes and take time to climb the bluff and swing out over the river and drop into the deeper waters for a swim. 

That tree was swept away in the 2018 flood.

 
I decided to take Willow Trail back to where we parked so we didn't have to backtrack.

I was stopped by a familiar bird song. I could hear it but couldn't tell where it was coming from. I just stood still for a while and finally a little brown bird flew into a nearby bush.


I hear this bird every spring and summer and delight in its song. You would think I could recall that it is a song sparrow.

I let her serenade me for a while before we returned to the car and went home.

Charlie was warm and tired and eager to lay in his crate in the car.

I felt relaxed and happy.


5 comments:

  1. It was a nice day to be out and about yesterday. Cute Lego friends shot! Relaxed and happy is a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, you and Charlie made the right choice. Your little friends look delighted, so I'd say they also agree. That's a bunch of geese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect day! The birds are slowly showing up here now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:24 PM

    LD...That was a wonderful journey. I am glad you could just circle around and not backtrack as everything is new. Your Lego friends were probably tired. I think you need to get life belts for them in case they get to close to the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun outing good for you both. You have all Spring to rake:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.