Monday, March 11, 2024

That time of the year?

 




With the arrival of Robins and Redwinged Black Birds, I get into the bird hunting mode. I blame Aurora over at equine expressions for that.

Saturday morning I did my 'duties' around the farm and because we have - had earlier daylight, I was finished and headed out to the Reserve to go birdwatching or at least walk around and pretend I was a Birder.

I did hear the Sandhill Cranes and the Canada Geese down at the ponds as soon as I stepped out of the car. I also realized that I had underdressed for the weather. I was instantly cold in my spring lightweight jacket and I had to pull up my hood to cover my ears.

I decided not to let the cold temps and wind stop me, so I went on down to the Big Pond to look around.

The Geese were noisy. I found a spot to use my long lens as binoculars and scout the opposite shore where the majority of the birds were hanging out.

There was a scuffle going on and so I took some shots and then looked at the shots I took. I found ducks!  I found what I think may be Mallards.
I don't know if March 9th is the early for them or not, but it was a first for me.


...and another scuffle which included
Canada Geese.
I shot through some brush, but still
managed to get some action.




Right then I got the urge to drive over to the Mississippi River and do some exploring. But I have time constraints and decided to just settle with what I could see in the immediate area.

That turned into a 2+ mile walk around the backwaters of the Kickapoo River.


It seemed that I was only going to see the Geese on this trip out. I could hear some black birds and many sparrows. Twice I almost got a shot of Chickadees, but they were so fast! Catching them near the bird feeder at home is easier, but there is a certain challenge of trying to get them out 'in the wild' so to speak.

I finally heard the Sandhill Cranes and saw them circling overhead and managed to catch a couple of shots. They didn't turn out the best, but there they were! The darn things kept fling low and through trees!


I did catch up with them after they landed though. I had to stand still behind some thick brush and look down onto the marshy area next to the river.


I came out next to Star Valley and decided to head back to the car. I stopped to pull down my hood and turned to see this:


These are steps that once led to a house on old Highway 131. I am standing on the old road that was the original highway and looking at steps for a home that was torn down.

I was really surprised as I must have walked past this spot hundreds of times. It made me wonder what it was like to live along this river and  road many years ago before the Government decided to take this land and turn it into a reservoir and dam to hold back flood waters.

None of that happened and many years later the Kickapoo Valley Reserve came to be in existance.

I was getting ready to put away my camera when I heard a bird call that I thought I recognized.

I kept turning around and looking for the source of the call. A flash of blue caught my eye and I took this shot which is again...NOT very good.

But there it was, a Kingfisher!!!


I did a little happy dance. Three years in a row I have been able to find a Kingfisher in this particular area. I call it dumb luck, but maybe it isn't.

It was worth getting cold through and through to see this just before I walked up to the parking area.

I am grateful that my Subaru has heated seats. When I got in, I turned the heater on full.

What a success. It was worth getting half frozen.


It must be that time of year!


15 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never seen a kingfisher or sandhill cranes. Your perseverance paid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sandhill Cranes used to be a rarity 25 years ago, but improvements in the wetland rehabilitation brought them back. The Kingfisher is a hard bird to find because they are so shy and usually stick close to rivers.

      It was pretty fun seeing them! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Excellent evidence of a great birding adventure. Our Subaru has Seated seats! It is important when the weather hits -20!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heated seats are life savers! Love is a Subaru!

      Delete
  3. Wouldn't that have been a lovely spot to live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was way back then. There was a community in the area called Star Valley.

      Delete
  4. Oh I long to hear the spring birds! I reckon we are a couple of weeks away, the snow is melting fast now. Ted spotted a solitary Canada Goose today, so they are on the move!
    Yay for seeing the King Fisher- such a neat bird! I got to actually see one diving last year - we have a river very close here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a Kingfisher years ago while canoeing with my grandkids on the river and didn't know what it was.
      I hope you guys see spring soon! It is early for us too though!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:37 PM

    LD....Kingfishers are wonderful. We never see them here. I would be happy to see chickadees. You will have to explore the old house area and you may find neat stuff. I go out with not enough warm clothes too but I am not miles away from the house. I enjoy all your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I have found evidence in this area of 3 farms. I found two separate junk pile deeps in the woods and there is the rock foundation of another place we hike past.

      My nephew and his wife officially changed their last names to Kingfisher!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous8:59 AM

    We have a kingfisher that visits our pond regularly. I usually hear it before I see it. We have plenty of fish to share! RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great, I don't see them but maybe once or twice a year...or if I am on the river.

      Delete
  7. Wow you saw lots of birds! I have never seen a Kingfisher. Yes I wonder too what was up those steps...who were they and where did they come from, what was the house like??:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the years, I heard a lot from some of the folks whose families lost their farms. Some made out well and others did not. The land was not used for the dam and the land was not returned to those folks who were forced to sell and others forced to move.

      However, I am grateful that the state saw fit to make it a Reserve because it is such a unique area.

      Delete
  8. You found a lot of Spring wings, great photos! I've only seen a Kingfisher once. I was so excited I almost jumped out of a moving truck to photograph it.

    Those steps are cool!! Fun to discover new and different things. They are probably more hidden in other seasons.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.