Sunday, March 24, 2024

Princess Sara and the Frog's Quest


Ideas sort of start out randomly. I had this partial building that the grandkids had left me and wanted to try and do something with it.

I took out Princess Sara and her stick horse and set her in the building. I added another character and then just messed with ideas that bounced around in my head. [My husband says it is an echo chamber inside my brain!]



Some time ago, while bored, I watched a video about how you can extend a building for photography by using a mirror. I thought I'd try it. 

To create an optical illusion, I added flowers to the back where I took the wall down. If seen 'in' camera and slightly out of focus, the flowers and bricks seem to be part of the set.



The kids had left some holes in the walls of their build so I thought I'd try putting lights through them to make the scene a bit more interesting. These are some Ulanzi lights I purchased on the cheap for some other still life work.

What it looks like from above.


What it looks like from behind the camera.




I wanted to add a bit of atmosphere to the scene. There are all sorts of ways to add atmosphere. Photographer's Atmosphere [very pricey atmosphere in a spray can], fog machines [very pricey, but now they make hand held ones], and a simple battery operated face mister. The face mister has an arrow pointing to it....

To add the mist, I simply turned it on and lay it on its side next to the open space that the light was shining through.


The scene as it looked in camera.👆

I kept moving minifigs around and finally decided to have Princess Sara talking to a tiny frog. I mean all good stories have a Princess and a Frog right?

I swapped out the Acorn person for a Knight. Not just any Knight, I chose one female knight I call Joan. 
In this scene Joan holds Princess Sara's stick horse while she meets in the castle garden at night to speak to the Magical Frog.

I mean, why not? 

The mirror did its trick the castle garden seems to extend in the background forever. The lights and mist add mystery and Joan's eyes are watching over her Princess carefully.

The final shot:


For me, it was important to see Joan's eyes through her helmet. It seems silly that she is holding both an weapon and a stick horse, but that is the fun of toy photography. Anything you desire can happen.

After shooting this photo, I decided that perhaps Sara and Joan should go on the Quest that the Frog sent them on.

Do I know what their Quest is yet? Nope. I imagine if I follow them, I may figure it out eventually.






8 comments:

  1. Well, that echo chamber is rather amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ping Ping, Boing Boing...ideas bouncing around some days!

      Delete
  2. Your final shot was well thought out. Nicely done. Great use of light and I also like seeing the eyes. Looking forward to seeing this pair explore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think eyes are very important to engage with the viewer!

      This was a technique I've tried before but failed at. Well, the results were not anything to brag about. But I wanted to try it again.

      Delete
  3. Well done you got a great shot! What fun for you to play with photography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. When I can't go out to play or walk and clear the head, I can occupy a small part of a table and think up adventures.

      Delete
  4. The mirror! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.