Wednesday, March 06, 2024

Springing up

I was really quite curious as to how the warmer weather was affecting things in the forest. I took a hike down to the Big Spring in the Valley where I usually can spot the first signs of spring when the Skunk Cabbage emerges.

Years ago, this was an easier hike. But the forest has taken over with briars and weeds. The land has been left 'feral' in the past 15 years. 
Charlie and I found the spring and it took a little bit of looking around but eventually we found Skunk Cabbage plants emerging just and inch or so above the leave debris.

The usual time for Skunk Cabbage to emerge in this
part of the forest is late March to early April.
So this emergence is about 3 weeks
early.




We also found Water Strider running back and forth across the creek. How they walk on the water is amazing!
It is hard to see the Water Strider in this shot, but you can see its shadow quite easily.



In the woods, things are brown and rather dull looking, however this is another time of year that the mosses really do shine. I love seeing them in the early morning or late afternoon sunlight. They are in areas that will be shaded later this year. The mosses will be hidden by the greenery of the briars and trees on this hillside above the Big Spring.


These aren't the 'best' shots of birds, but I did enjoy trying to spot this Junco inside a bush. It was a challenge. Charlie and I had to sit in the hayfield and stay still for a while so the bird would settle down too.


Robins were appearing everywhere and they were able to grab insects and even worms which I found very amazing for this early in March.


The whole reason to go for the hike was to look for Skunk Cabbage and some birds. I didn't do very well on the bird search, but here are some rather odd little birds.

This one was a difficult shot. Not in the way you think though. I put the Lego Bird in a nest that was inside a multiflora rose bush. In the natural world, this is a perfect spot for birds to build nests. No predators or even humans can get at the nest without being stabbed and caught up in all of the thorns!


We discovered more crocus flowers when we got home. So did the baby Lego Birds.



Spring is starting to creep into our area.

I wonder what it will be like? Friday we are supposed to have rain which we need.


8 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:36 AM

    LD....You have a junco and a robin. The lego birds are so wonderful. Your crocus looks like my variety. I know they are so small but our close up shots make them look so good. I want all the rain that we can get. We are in severe drought zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, we are pretty dry here too. I can't ever recall being dry in March. Usually we are mucking around in lots of mud.

      Delete
  2. Great water bug photo of the leggy guy. Nice that you also got his shadow! I have yet to see a Robin, which is weird since some stick around. Nature = curiosity!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw more Robins and heard them today. I just shot some not so great shots of Red Wing Blackbirds in some Prickly Ash trees on our morning tromp.
      Nature is pretty awesome.

      Delete
  3. It looks like you had a good day outside with Charlie and your bird buddies. We could use some rain. This sure has been an odd year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you get some. We got sleet/hail/rain on Monday night and we are supposed to get rain tonight and Friday. Fingers crossed.
      We had a great walk, thank you.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you and Charlie could get out and explore. We have seen dozens of Robins around here. But none of the colorful Lego birds, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robins and Crocus, I think you have Spring!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.