Saturday, March 23, 2024

One foot in front of

 ---

the other....


We got some snow. Around here we call it free fertilizer. In the spring the snow delivers nitrogen to the land it falls on and as it melts, it fertilizes the ground. We call it the poor man's fertilizer.


Charlie and I got out for our first hike since Saturday. That is a long lay off for me. We enjoyed the fresh air and went down in the valley to check out the tiny trout pond in the stream.


They were fine and flitting about under a skiff of ice that was rapidly melting.

I enjoyed the hike and didn't rush. All sorts of plants are budding out. The gooseberries, multiflora rose, and barberry bushes to name a few. I was really enjoying the birdsong more than anything else.

I saw a lot of Robins. In the first shot the Robin is in a tree that has a grapevine in it. He/she was eating the dried fruit pulp. Back in our pasture, the Robins were actually getting worms from the ground.


This Robin was with several Juncos who were getting grit from the gravel road. I find watching birds and listening to them relaxing in so many ways.


Each spring I get Bird Fever and tell myself that I am going to learn more and more about birds. That usually falls by the wayside when the wildflowers start to do their thing in the woods. But...yes, one of these fine years, I'm going to get serious. I'd love to go along the Mississippi River and watch those birds come in.

When I worked at the Genoa Power Plant, we used to watch them at our leisure while we were doing our rounds.

Now just the dry cask storage is left as they demolished the plant this week. 20 second video:


Anyway, I got off track. While working at the river for years, I got to watch all sorts of birds migrate through the area. At the time I wasn't interested in ID'ing them.

Maybe in the future I can have time to do such things. One can hope and have dreams right?


Meanwhile in the woods. I found it quite odd that there are still bucks running around with a full set or half set of antlers towards the middle and end of March. I usually start finding sheds towards the end of February. These are trail cam shots.




This is beginning to be an odd year.

I think I'll go for my morning walk with Charlie and then just do some experimenting with Still Life and lighting.

I'm currently messing around with a build that the grandkids left behind.



I am modifying it slightly to experiment with different colors and minifigs. I keep moving figures around and changing things to see if a storyline will appear.




Sometimes things just seem to click and other times they don't. I like this scene. The softness was created by focusing through other bits of Legos.


I need to get things prepared for our busy week. I have multiple appointments to negotiate through Friday and an arrival of another Grandkid.


This weekend looks like my only day to chill out and relax a bit.

One foot in front of the other.





12 comments:

  1. That's quite the video! Blasting is something I learned to do in mining school many years ago. Loved it!
    Those are some fat fluffy Robins. Haven't heard or seen them here yet- to me it isn't spring until the Robins arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I used to work there and they have demolished all the buildings on the site except one now. Interesting to see a place I knew so well go ka-boom.
      Wow, you could blast stuff! Cool!

      Delete
  2. I did not know this about spring snow. It's good for you and Charlie to have yourselves a relaxing walk. That was a lot of girls in one house! Good luck with the next grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a thing that the farmers say and I didn't believe it until I actually read the study on it! So you are not alone.

      Delete
  3. You are a go-getter and popular visit destination! It is a wonder you have time to focus/experiment with photography, with all you've got going on. It is good to sneak some Val kinda time into your busy life!

    Side note; I have a white stool exactly like the teal one in your grandkid lego photo. They are sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do this stuff while I am waiting for the other half to wake up from his naps when I am in the house. I can do quiet things so as not to wake Sleeping Beauty.
      :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:40 PM

    LD....That creek shot is outstanding. I think the deer new sprouts will force the to drop but it does seem late. The robin shots are both very good ones. I get out and walk my property which is small but it is good to see the things changing out there. I have roses putting out leaves and red bud is budding. I enjoy seeing your kids lego creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The kids did a pretty good job and I enjoyed their build.

      Delete
  5. That is so sweet! I wrote a couple of picture books with my grandies, using Lego. I really enjoyed it.
    Our deer have shed their antlers by February.
    I love birding, especially from my window! I look them up, but don't remember fine differences between some. I can never remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours usually drop in February also, I don't know why some still have them!
      Birds are great to view when they migrate in the spring. I have a hard time ID'ing them also.

      Delete
  6. We love watching the Spring birds come through our yard. Interesting that the Bucks still have antlers ...one of these days they should fall off! They are telling us to stay home by 7 in the AM not that we were going anyplace on account of the winter storm:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! I have been watching that and it looks like we may escape with just about 3 inches today ... I don't know what else will happen. I can stay home!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.