Friday, March 01, 2024

Ironwoods and trees

I don't know of many folks here in my area that love the Ironwood, in some places they are considered a pesky tree. Of course, I find it interesting in shape and form. The tree is also known as:

Hop-Hornbeam
Ostrya Virginia

This tree is not to be confused with the other Ironwood. Also called Musclewood or American Hornbeam.  Both trees live in the surrounding forests.



Here are the leaves in the winter. This is called marcescent leaves. Leaves that stay on the tree and don't fall off in the fall. Oak trees do the same things. The new buds push off the leaves in the spring. Some think that this provides better mulch for the tree. 

All I know, is that these trees are fun to look at in the winter. They are generally understory trees and are pretty abundant in forests that have been commercially logged.



The trees that are on the edge of the woods have their leaves torn off by wicked winter winds. In the winter you can see the male catkins that are produced in the summer. In the spring, the catkins spore and fertilize the female parts. 

I'm don't totally understand the whole process as this is all fairly new to me. 




If you are interested in seeing the photos and explanation, this is a good site to read:
Hop Hornbeam-Outdoor Learning.


It has taken me a few years and a new neighbor whose job is helping people with managing their forests in our county. He is a wealth of knowledge.


This spring I'll try and catch the catkins from the slippery elms, the boxelders, maples, oaks, birch, and the hop hornbeam. I'm pretty curious about how these trees 'do their' thing.

I've been working on this sort of ID project since 2010 with so many starts and stops and distractions along the way.

I can at least identify a few more trees now than in 2010.

This curlicue below is from a wild grape vine. This is part of the same vine that I made almost two whole batches of grape jelly. The second batch had to be mixed with wild apple juice I picked from the meadow trees.


I'm going to be sidetracked yet again by some nice weather. That means I'll go looking at KVR I hope to see if I can find some migrating birds in the ponds or perhaps some pussywillows.


Meanwhile, there is a NEW tougher Duckie in town!





 

7 comments:

  1. I will say you have curiosity, Val. You keep both body and mind busy. That is a scary Duckie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I find trees interesting, my minor was Forestry:) I have lost much of what I learned so long ago. Waiting to spring Far Guy out of the hospital...the nurses are slow:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope all goes well. Time away from being in his regular routine probably sucks.

      Delete
  3. Ok I learned a new word today- marcescent- cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:02 PM

    Beautiful photos. You are such a smartie! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love learning about trees and nature in general. You do an admirable job of retaining what you learn & share. Enjoy your KVR discoveries, and watch out for scary ducks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Canada Geese and really enjoyed just sitting and watching them and listening to their racket. I did get a nice photo of a very strange bird....

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.