Saturday, March 09, 2024

Bushes, Trees, and Birds

 I was out on Thursday determined to find some birds or something exciting to look at.

Most of what I found was a bit dull and boring.

I was looking for any sign of birds at first. But then I noticed some things about the bushes and the trees.

I did find birds.


I mean, who cannot find crows? They are all over the place!


I heard the Redwinged Black Birds, I did! I crept around a large field edge to see if I could get a glimpse of one. 

And there he/she was. In a thicket of Prickly Ash. There was no predator that could bust through that thorny bush.

I knew from hiking here over the years, that I always heard them in the brush but never paid particular attention. Now I see why they would love this area as a nesting spot.



I decided to sit quietly in the field and see if one would eventually come out. That paid off.


There were several sparrows flitting around inside that area too. I couldn't get any decent shots of them to ID them. But they were all very talkative.

I ended up on the road where I'd seen the Bluebirds a few weeks ago and started walking along my neighbor's land. His big old birch trees grabbed my attention, their branches looked like they were pussy willows.

The photo is of lower feeder branches coming out from the tree itself.


Further down the road I saw these above me. More Birch trees, but I don't know exactly what kind.



I know that there are several types of birch, so this shouldn't have surprised me. Of course, I first thought that all birch trees should show their catkins in the same manner. But different varieties, just like different varieties of flowers will appear different.

Each year, I learn a little bit more about trees.

So this Hophornbeam gave me a bit of a brain tease.
My neighbor ID'd it as a Hophornbeam.


He ID'd this tree below as a Hophornbeam also. But they present differently.

So this confused me. But since I am not a botany person, I am going to leave these two trees as Hophornbeams of different varieties?

This tree keeps its leaves but doesn't have the 'chicken foot' winter catkins.

The leaves stick around and only fall off when the buds push them off.

See the tiny bud?


Tiny bud.....  ----->


So the more I 'investigate' these trees, the more questions I come up with.

These trees are grouped under the name of Ironwood Trees and there is apparently several kinds of them.

Hop Hornbeam, Hornbeam, Ironwood, and Musclewood are names given to these trees because of their hard wood. 

Let's not forget that these trees in the summer look like elm trees.

How confusing can that be????

Then there was evidence that the Gooseberry bushes were coming alive in the forest. I have a love hate relationship with these thorny guys. However, their flowers are cute and their berries can be picked and eaten when ripe. 
I've never tried it.


Even the invasive and horrible Multiflora Rose is trying to wake up.

In the shot below there are leaves that had budded out a few weeks ago during an intense warm spell. Those leaves dried up and now I can see new bright red ones peeking out.


The flowers to these bushes are pretty, but man those thorns are tough to get around. 


I may tie a ribbon or something around those two different Hop-Hornbeam trees and see what happens through the year. 

Seems that I enjoy watching some of the least popular trees and bushes there are.


7 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:10 PM

    LD....We don't have a lot of those trees. I guess we could and I am ignorant of them. You are budding everywhere. There must be berries in the one bush or they are eating off the buds already. I was out on my small estate and didn't find much new at this point. I have lots of dead stems from last year's growth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The detail in your photographs are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poplar trees here are sporting buds, even though there is still a lot of snow around. We have maple and poplar and spruce trees in our yard, not much else. I like willow trees- and Beamer loves to have a snack on their branches. I'm going to try to grow raspberry bushes here, if I can keep the deer from eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know very little about trees. You took some really good photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to look through my Tree books at home on the Hop Hornbeams and see if I can find a clue:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful seeing spring begin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tree ID sure can be confusing. Never heard of Hophornbeam. I love Birch trees! They remind me of the Aspens we used to ride through in CO. We only have a few. I am hoping to replant (or plant) more of them on our property :))

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.