Monday, January 27, 2014

Morning Walk ~ Sunday

I thought I'd get a walk in early Sunday morning before the winds came.

I hadn't been able to get out to take a good walk for a while.

I decided to walk out towards the far neighbor's place.  I got only so far before Morris and I decided to turn back.

His driveway was drifted shut.
The patterns in the snow were beautiful.
Morris preferred to stick to the road when I wandered off into the deep snow.


He obviously needed to burn off a lot of Jack Russell energy.

The winds started to pick up when we turned and headed back towards our place.
I heard a shout behind me and saw the 'outlaw' neighbor [he's not really an outlaw] walking towards me.  He'd come along the edge of the woods to stay out of the wind.

He said he had to walk out to meet a ride.  There was no way he could get out and hadn't been able to get out with a vehicle for 5 days.  He needed to do some work -- as a mechanic -- then grab some bread and other things and walk back to the cabin.

He was angry that neither township would plow his road out.  See his driveway is in 2 townships and they argue about who should plow it.  Zeke said he even talked to the Sheriff's department.  And I agree, his driveway is long and he should get help from the townships he is in.  Not be put in the middle of a quibble.


Zeke is quite the character every neighborhood needs one.

So Morris and I walked with him to the corner where his mailbox is.
Folks, that is a mile from his house.

We talked and walked.  He was kind enough to let me take his picture.  He has an interesting face.


After he was picked up, Morris and I headed towards home.
Unless I wear snow shoes, I won't be able to walk in the woods at all right now.

The weather did turn absolutely horrid.  We had snow, and the winds were blowing.
At times I couldn't see out to the pasture because of whiteouts and whirls of snow.
Our driveway plugged up with blown snow in about an hour.

Now the weather is -10 F and still windy, but not as bad as yesterday.
They are still recommending no travel until this afternoon so that the road crews have a chance to get to clean up the roads.
Many of the rural roads are drifted in.
It has been a bit of a wild ride this winter.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of snow! Your neighbour looks like quite the character, you're right, we all need one in the area, we have a few.... farmers over 80 still putting us 'younguns' to shame mainly!

    Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Character captured!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.