Thursday, March 07, 2024

Messing around

 

In the mean time, I've been busy with experimenting with lights indoors. I used a technique called Black Background ... it uses no background but a setting on the camera that makes the scene black and then the photographer uses a flashlight, flash, or something to light up the subject.


It was a pain to do, but I think if I practice a LOT more I can get it to work pretty easily. I'm studying how to do this outdoors while photographing a flower. I didn't take a 'how to' shot. 

I did it on the kitchen table with light coming in through a curtain. There is a coffee cup about 6 inches from the Lego Bird.

While the camera thought the scene was black, I used a bright flashlight to light up the Lego Bird and this was the result. I still have some work to do to figure out the best settings for this type of photography.


I tried a new method of lighting up a subject from underneath. I found a large piece of broken glass and put it on some old play blocks.
I stuck a flat light under the critters and a weak light shining on them from the front.


That is how I did the Shark Duckie shot which you already saw last week:


I then stood a tiny soldier right on top of the light with a black plastic background.

The soldier standing on the light with a black reflective
background behind him.



Cropped version...


A Calico Critter ~
She stood on the light and I took a flashlight and
lit her up from the top.


The shots turn out quite moody and interesting. I'd guess this method would work with some still life like an apple or forks or utensils? Perhaps a salt shaker with salt spilled on the glass and a small measuring spoon alongside it?

I just have to face it. There is not a lot out in the woodlands right now to get excited about. 

However. Things are starting to happen!

I saw Robins again today, along with Bluebirds, Sandhill Cranes have been flying overhead...and this morning I heard my first red winged black bird.

Seems like I need to start looking for neat signs of spring.

I guess a mission to look for Skunk Cabbage should be in order!


PS-- I did find skunk cabbage when I went out on Tuesday for my walk.


6 comments:

  1. Thumbs up for both photo methods!! The forecast does make it look like we will continue heading towards Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to learn another one today. An in camera black background shooting a flower. It takes a bit more work, but I may try it on a slightly overcast day.
      I only have one little bitty flash on my old old camera. I've never really done flashes before.

      Hope your day goes wonderfully.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:55 AM

    I love the drama in black backgrounds! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this! Ever thinking, you are, Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always experiment! You can cook, I can play with light. I think you'd survive with your skills better than I!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.