Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Kite


This has been the most interesting winter. February has been up and down and all around with no pattern to the weather but
CRAZY. Last year at this time we were digging out of a huge snow/ice storm.....

This week we even had red flag warnings because it is so dry and there is so much dead plant material around.


Yesterday the neighbor came down with her two little ones. Her little boy wanted to fly a kit, but he didn't want to go into the field on the ridge to fly it.

I helped put a little kite together and I helped him launch it. He then turned it over to me because the wind picked up. Funny.
I haven't flown a kite since I was a kid and it was actually pretty thrilling to do!

This was about time that the cold front was sweeping in.


Wednesday dawns with temperatures in the single digits and wind chills reading something like 9F below.

Tomorrow on Leap Year Day, it will warm up into the 50's again. One wonders how that affects wildlife and plant life?

Looks like a good day to work on some Still Life indoors and practice some photography skills. After working in 70 degree temps yesterday, it will feel pretty cold out today.





11 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:23 AM

    We’ve had unseasonably warm temperatures already here in Texas. Some areas have huge wildfires. A new front is coming in this morning with cooler weather. I’m not ready for summer any time soon. Flying a kite sounds fun! RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather is all over the place. It was 3F this morning, feels like -11. Tomorrow will be 50F. Strange. I have not flown a kite since I was a kid, either. I bet it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Val. I enjoy reading your blog. Have a great photo day. Will

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun activity - and a fun person to share the experience with! We were in the 70's yesterday in Northern Ohio. All my facebook memories were measuring snow drifts. The kids were in short sleeves in the sandbox. Today we woke up to 65 degrees at 7 am, 49 by noon and I hear we could get below 20 degrees tonight. Tomorrow - back to the mid 60's. Mother Nature can't make up her mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my kite! Glad you got to experience the fun of kiting again!! It is such a great sport that can be done at most ages, and doesn't require a lot of time or money.

    Pretty still shot!

    The wind was brisk on Aurora's Doggie Daycare walk today. It was cold/hot/cold/steaming can't get my layers off fast enough hot. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:55 PM

    I guess we are all feeling the change in the weather. Blowing like crazy here right now! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like that tree has feet :o)
    March is usually the month when we get every kind of weather thrown at us- sometimes all in the same day.
    I heard about those fires in Texas- sure must be awful for all the cattle ranchers trying to move their livestock out of the path of the fire.
    Pink roses and coffee- looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like March here right now with the up and down weather and storms! Luckily we have only had about 50 small wildfires here in WI.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous10:44 PM

    LD....Your still life work is so great. We had winds of 55 mph last night and all the windows did shake. The older I get the longer I lay awake and listen to the storms. We did a lot of kite flying when I was young as three older brothers loved to do it. It was great to get outside thought when it had warmed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Still Life is always a good challenge for the brain in composition, lighting, and choice of subject.

      Delete
  9. Love the roots:) We went from 50 plus temps to that Blizzard...the weather is whacky:(

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.