Wednesday, February 07, 2024

Chill out

 


Charlie and I took a very different walk yesterday. We went to the ridge and decided to hike the cropland hayfields. This way we avoided slogging through mud. We could have walked along the gravel road but one neighbor choses not to watch their dog.

This dog has attacked but has not yet hurt Charlie and I just don't want to risk it. The last time this dog attempted to get at Charlie, I held him and sprayed her with Pepper spray. She got a snootful and wouldn't leave us alone....
Anyway...

We walked this high ridge and kept to the fields. It was much more interesting for Charlie because of all the critter tracks. So many good smells for a dog.

I left my camera at home and just walked with my cell phone, and was a bit sorry that I did not bring my camera with a long lens. We reached the road across the ridge and stopped to admire the fields for a bit. I heard a chirp that I haven't heard all winter.

And there they were! Bluebirds! [sorry the picture isn't very good!]


We headed back along the fields and came to a patch of trees in the middle of this cropland. It is in a slight dip where water runs. I got to the deer trail and walked in among the trees. I looked back and Charlie was sitting just outside of the trees. He refused to follow me.


More than likely it would have been the fresh scent of a coyote that lingered on the trail that deterred him.

So we detoured and walked up one of the waterways and decided to just sit down and enjoy the warm afternoon sun.


From here we could see the intersection [if you want to call it that] to our dead end road and the other gravel road that crossed the ridge. 

When we got home the two of us sat on the porch bench and listened to the world around us. 



The antique wash table got the addition of some real flowers to mix in with the Lego Wildflower Bouquet.
I'm enjoying the bright colors!


9 comments:

  1. Pretty flowers! Charlie is a smart dog. If the nose says danger, believe it.This is very different from your usual walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I try and mix things up. I like seeing the big open sky as I am always in the woods.
      Charlie is smart, that nose works!

      Delete
  2. Love so many things about this walk-about-post!! Those clouds, spotting bluebirds (wow!!) and combo of flowers! Not sure if those are pink baby's breath or what, but they sure tie your cheery display together.

    My fav thing tho is the photo of you and Charlie, just soaking in nature together <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that we didn't get our bottoms wet. It was mostly dry on top of all the dead grasses!

      Delete
  3. The birds of spring as slowly making their way back. There is one birdsong that always heralds spring for me, not sure which bird. It's a 2 note descending song. We haven't seen bluebirds here, I know they do visit other parts of Alberta though.
    Charlie is a wise little dog! And good that he has you for protection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite amazed at seeing bluebirds. The chickadees and tufted titmouse are changing their songs to spring songs here.

      Delete
  4. So glad you had a lovely weather day for both of you to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Today should be another nice day.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:30 PM

    Bluebirds! Lucky you! Connie

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.