Friday, February 16, 2024

It's a wild wild life....

Here are some trail cam shots from a new Trail Cam I got called Garden Pro. I'm not endorsing them one way or the other, but compared to my old camera, they sure have improved.


Coyotes



The bucks have not started shedding their antlers, but it looks like there might be some really nice ones out there to pick up once they do. This guy looks like he is scenting a deer. But I have no idea....


This spot is like a highway for the does this year. They come and go in groups up to 8 sometimes. They cross back and forth multiple times a day.


Then there is always one that loves to stand in front of the camera and smell it. Or do they know they are doing the forest version of a selfie???


We always get a big kick out of these type of shots.


I can't be positive, but I think this was the Big Trophy Buck that all the hunters were asking me about this fall and then again during gun season.




I think this is the same fella I 'shot' in November in the meadow just east of where he is standing in this photo. If it is the same fella, I'm pretty tickled that no one nabbed him during the hunting seasons.

He is absolutely regal.


This shot below is him chasing some girls as it was breeding season. 



Many other photos we saw from the trail cam included hundreds of photos of does and young deer walking by along with nightly walks by raccoon who travel the same trails as the deer and coyotes.

We don't feed any of the wild animals as it is illegal in our county plus they are surrounded by abundant sources of food which include hundreds of acres of corn fields and soy bean fields to glean off from.

This photo is from this summer. I took it while taking an evening walk. 
I think we have plenty of deer around here!

It has been a mild winter so I think their numbers will increase.


Oh! One more Wild Life shot!

Eleanor! She is an outdoor cat who belongs to our neighbor. She has been spayed and has all of her shots.
She divides her time by hunting at my place and at the neighbor's place. He feeds her inside his workshop.

She likes to sit in the shed and observe me doing chores on most afternoons. She is not a friendly cat as in ... -- don't come near me--. I don't try to pet her, but I do talk to her every time we meet.





15 comments:

  1. Our deer have shed all their antlers. I'm glad your big buck survived. I'm not sure about ours.
    We're still in snow, and our hunting season is done, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those shots were at the beginning of the month, so they could be shedding them now. I haven't come across any and the bucks haven't shown up again on the camera.
      We got some snow again on the night of the 14th.

      Delete
  2. That's a lot of deer! Eleanor has a look that says it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do so much damage to crops and even worse??? Vehicles!
      I do love to photograph them and I do love watching them. I don't mind their meat either.
      But I am not a hunter.

      Delete
  3. I need a dashboard camera. I was driving home on Main St in our town yesterday and eight deer crossed from a row of houses to the nursing home across the street. Very orderly and in single file so I could count them. I stayed way back since they like to dent cars. All does, I believe. I did not see antlers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That for sure is a nice buck! I have yet to find sheds on our property. Deer cross it a lot since there is a big marsh behind us, and also a creek nearby. We have neighbors that shoot any size, so we rarely see the big guys roaming nearby.

    Nice to have a cat help keep the rodent population down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see antlers, but those shots were at the start of the month. Nice to see deer as long as they are not denting a car!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4:38 PM

    LD. I still can't reply on your post. I am having trouble on four others. You got some great shots. The buck is certainly regal. You have a lot of wild animals in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if posting to blogger comments has to to do with what system you may be using or not... anyway, thank you for the comment!

      Delete
  6. You got some great trail cam photos, I hope you find some sheds! I have never found any. Nice mouser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have totes full of sheds and I painted some and stained some of the old ones. At one time I was going to make a base for a lamp or table. Now? I may just return the sheds to the woods, but still pick them up as I hike.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous7:53 AM

    With all the deer around our place, I have never found any sheds, although we don’t see many bucks. RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:28 AM

    Val, hope you and husband are OK since I haven’t seen a new post in a few days. I pray all is well and you’re just taking a much needed break. RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are okay, just making some adjustments for things in the future.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.