Monday, February 05, 2024

Keeping Track

I find it interesting that the more technologically advanced we get, the more fascinated with tracking things we get.

I had a friend who posted every single day how many 'steps' she took. She wore a fit bit gizmo on her wrist and that told her the information. 
Some of the folks at the gym have watches they wear that can give them heart rate, blood pressure, steps, oxygen, and track your movements.

I am enjoying the fact that I can track my hiking [when I remember to use the app]. But so many folks seem to be over the top with tracking info.

Is it a good thing? Is it a bad thing? Is it really necessary?

I can see where it has benefits in many cases. Say you have a B/P issue, you can track it right? When I visited the doctor's office in December we discussed that very thing. She recommended that I track my B/P no more than twice a day. Too many readings don't really help she said, and they could actually make a person more anxious and increase the B/P. Interesting.

Another time I was sitting in the waiting room while hubby was doing a test. A nurse came out and called a name. She indicated to the patient that she was going to do a 12 lead ECG before his stress test. He absolutely came unglued and shoved his wrist at the nurse and told her not to waste her time. HE had a smart watch and it could tell her all she needed to know.

She rolled her eyes and tried to explain that her test was far more accurate than a watch on a wrist.

Okay. I see the point though. If you can monitor yourself for all of these vitals, it is pretty cool and perhaps a person can see if they are 'in trouble' or not, medically speaking.

When I did distance running, I did keep a little calendar notebook to track my training miles. So I do understand why we keep track.

I had a friend that was not well, she had a smart watch that she could answer calls on, monitor her steps, and all of those other things. She'd been advised to walk each day for a certain length of time. She figured out how to cheat the system by laying on her bed with her knees at the end of the bed. She then would swing her legs up and down and get her steps in. She fooled her smart watch.

I hike, I walk. I used to run distance when I was younger. I switched to bicycling distances, then I switched to riding an equine in distance challenges. Now? I like my two feet. 

For the past couple of years I did the trail challenge at the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. For that Challenge I had to keep track of the trails I did. That introduced me to 'keeping track' in a new way.

I didn't just do the 60+ miles of trails, but I also made many many other trips and repeats of trails. 

So how far and how often do I move, walk, hike? Maybe it would be interesting to find out. 

I did track -- mostly -- my hikes since the start of January. It is pretty amazing how far a person can hike or walk within a relatively short amount of time.


For example this is the past week's example from MapMyWalk. Most of these walks were completed during hubby's nap times. It isn't totally accurate as I don't always think to take my phone with me or the phone doesn't have enough battery to take along...or it is raining or frigid.

However I think I get out and move more than what this indicates.


I'm fine with not counting chores, walking to the mailbox, or checking fence lines and all of the other things that are day to day stuff.

To me, the walks-hikes are not Workouts. They are times of seeking calmness and mind clearing pleasure.

This information is a good thing. But tracking your every movement? Is that really necessary?

Are we better off with devices like this?

Now that I am considered retired, the only time I keep track of Time is when I have an appointment to get to.

January stats:



11 comments:

  1. I weigh myself and record the weight once a week, as I am attempting to get out of obesity. That's the only thing I track. I had a Fitbit many years ago but it went through the washer one too many times. You are an active person, no reason to track unless you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might just to see what I actually do in a normal year, just for kicks and giggles.
      I don't want to be obsessed with it, just enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. Personally, I think the current obsession with tracking everything is a form of mental disorder. I can see certain things like tracking distance, or BP if a person is at risk, but is it all really necessary? I think people are bamboozled by the marketing gurus who play on human weakness to sell their products. They create an atmosphere of fear and reliance on devices when a bit of common sense has served man well throughout the ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on that. I do sometimes wonder just how far I go in a month or perhaps even in a year. That would be the fun part of tracking. As a distance runner, I enjoyed many runs without worrying about my times or distance. I hike for the joy of it.

      Maybe I'll see what I do in one year and leave it at that.
      :)

      Delete
  3. Haa, Shirley ~ you are spot on about obsessive tracking and mental wellness. That also goes for obsessive working out. Especially long distance runners. I can say this, because I was one and worked in the fitness industry for over 25 years. I ran for my mental health. Unfortunately my 'ol bod said no more. I have other active coping mechanisms now :)

    As for your tracking Val, do whatever floats your boat. If it serves you, track away. For whatever reason. Curiosity, incentive or yes even for mental health. Just my two cents.

    Oh, and I love my Apple watch!! I bought it strictly for workout motivation. I track my walks & workouts, although don't compare or add them up. It surprises me when my circles light up, and makes me smile. It is the little things in life. I've also tracked my sleep cycle a couple times out of curiosity.

    For whatever it's worth, my ER Doc daughter says they have tested the EKG Apple watch function with their machines and it is spot on. Apparently they are very accurate. I certainly wouldn't call anyone out with my results, especially a professional who is trying to help you. Sheez. What is wrong with people these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, for obvious reasons I wouldn't tell a paramedic to read my watch instead of doing a heart lead, right? LOL.

      I'm curious about how far I travel in a year, and if it is truly what I think it is.
      I only want to see what I actually do for hiking and walking which do not include daily workouts, chores, or any walking around the yard.
      I did check my chore distance last night. Funny! I didn't thing I put that kind of distance in feeding different areas and watering! That was interesting!

      Delete
    2. Your boots are made for walking!!

      "Extra" activity adds up to more than one thinks. It all counts in my book!! Gardening included.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous5:43 PM

    Very interesting! I have a fit bit as I wanted to keep track of my heart rate after I got the pacemaker. I looked at it way too often and it created anxiety especially when I was doing work out in the barn. Now, I check it very seldom but do look at my steps. Exercise increases your heart rate....that's normal and I should not have let it bother me so much. Generally, I take between 7500 and 8000 per day, but last week I had 5 days in a row over 10,000 (once 14,000). That's a lot of miles for a gimpy 80 year old. Now I'm back in my normal groove. I think you would find it interesting, and you can get stats on a regular basis. Just don't let it run your life. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think tracking like you mentioned would be stressful. I know when they put the heart monitor on me a few years ago they really questioned me on what I was doing when my heart rate went up.
      I had to explain that I was just doing my regular chores and walks which included hill inclines of 150 feet.
      I let the app track me doing chores last night. I was surprised at the distance.
      I guess the whole point is to be active and not a couch potato.

      Delete
  5. It does get to be an obsession. I suppose if it gets you into new habits it is good! We find, with aches and pains, it better to do something and then rest. Then find another activity. Old age sucks, I cannot run or hike or bike anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My hiking habit goes a long way back in time. Probably over 20 years.
      I am sort of curious as to how far I go in one year. Who knows? I think it would be fun. I don't ever want to be obsessed over it.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.