Saturday, February 03, 2024

My Happy Place

 Weister Creek that is.


I had a 'date' with another hiker who cancelled early Friday morning. I didn't mind, I decided to head out and take Charlie to Weister Creek. The 'Ice' Caves probably were not spectacular with the drought we've had along with the strangely mild winter.

But I knew there would be some ice for me to enjoy. I felt that I should go even though the day was heavily overcast again and fairly cold.

I knew that once we got into the forest we'd be out of the cold and damp wind. Then things would get fun. Besides, I'd rather walk on frozen snow, ice, and mud than walk on slippery sloppy stuff.

I wore my YakTraks. It only took us about 7 minutes to get to the bottom of the first big gully with the rock shelters that turn into exotic ice caves most winters.


The 'caves' at the very top of these formations are over 6 foot tall inside.

This is a shot from 2 years ago to give you an idea at how large the 'cave' in the upper right corner is:


How was the ice this time? It was 
cool....




And for a view from end to end... Enjoy the drip drip drip noises. I found them so comforting. 14 seconds long. 


Normally by this time of the year, the Ice Curtain is huge and covers almost the whole rock shelter. The interior of the shelter or cave is also covered in ice. Ice cleats are a must for moving around this area.

Inside the 'cave' a few years ago:


Charlie and I walked over the top of the ridge and looked down on the second ice cave area. There was almost no ice but we could hear the dripping from the top of the rock shelter. We moved on and went further down to where most of the 'tours' end at another ice wall on Weister Creek.


Closer with a long lens.


In winter last year when we had subzero temperatures:


We headed over these ice formations and went down the stream to look at one of the last easy to get to formations of ice.



Charlie knows these trails by heart as he has been with me so many times.


During a good cold winter, this particular spot fills with layers of ice. The water around the large rock becomes thick enough to walk on and a person cannot see the sandstone behind the ice. the colors of ice will be various with the particulates it picks up. 

Curiously there is a cable that be seen when the ice is small. It has been there ever since I can recall. I see it in the spring usually when I hike here looking for Skunk Cabbage, Trillium, and all sorts of spring flowers.


This my Happy Place. 




5 comments:

  1. So beautiful and wild. I marvel at your landscape every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that a cool spot!
    Around here it is so flat, surrounded by wetlands and all. The walking on the knee-deep snow, with an icy crust on top, or horrid.
    I enjoyed your adventure. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even feel the cold of the lovely ice photos. I am wearing my insulated boots and virtually walking with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, your happy place!! Glad you and Charlie got out to KVR and soaked up the wonder. Ice formations & colors are endlessly cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:34 PM

    So pretty, great the Charlie knows the way! Connie

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.