Thursday, September 19, 2024

Quiet Time

Time for some chillin' off the farm.


I could have stayed home as the temps were supposed to be in the 80's again, but I thought I'd make my own. This time I promised myself to just pedal until I found something interesting and then stop and look at it. 

This was not a work out, it was a pleasure out. I took my ancient camera that I had converted to Infrared. I put on the hot filter to shoot in normal colors and traded off with some infrared filters of 665nm and 850nm. The 850nm presents in black and white with the greens becoming white and blues are dark.

One of the places I really enjoy stopping at is the pond that is near a place called Star Valley. Okay, it was a place called Star Valley. A community lived here from 1901 to 1962. In the 60's, the government started a flood control project called the LaFarge Dam Project. People's homes/farms were purchased and those who refused had their land appropriated.

There still is a lot of resentment over those actions as the project was abandoned in the 1970's.  I've referred to the project over the years. You can check out one of those posts here: Dam Hike & Forest Wandering.

By the time I got to the Star Valley Memorial after riding about 5 miles, I was so chilled out that I could have laid on the bench and napped. Instead, I sat and just let my mind wander while I ate an apple. Funny thing is, I never thought a bit about my schedules for the next week. 

I knew then, that this was exactly what I needed.

Here is the pond in color, then in IR Black and White, and lastly in 665nm.




The presentation of the foliage and the pond reflections are startling in IR. I guess that is what the biggest appeal to me is. The wild colors are pretty much up to the person who processes IR. I happen to like a pink tint to the 665nm foliage. Sometimes the Black and White is more appealing. I love how the clouds and the reflections stand out.

I couldn't resist bringing my mini-me and Charlie along. In real life, I couldn't do this!



The colors were starting to turn in various places but nothing spectacular quite yet. The sumac offered some beautiful reds.


Bridge 16 is in the background of this shot.


Here is some different colors and a different variety of Highbush Cranberry.


Fully mature Nanny Berries! They turn black ... 


Last but not least was some curious vines I'd seen before but never stopped to investigate.

I've seen it flowering in the spring but had no idea that it is a type of wild clematis, with a common name called Old Man's Beard.


It was a pleasure to have some solo time. It was a beautiful afternoon and oddly enough, I never saw another person on the trail. There was no sign of hikers, bikers, or equestrians. 

Fall is coming. It will be here eventually....



6 comments:

  1. KVR sure is a special healing place. How nice to have it to yourself for chillaxing. I had no idea WI had wild growing clematis. Cool find!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally go midweek and not often during the hunting season, though pheasant hunting season begins today I think.
      Those guys don't bother me much as they are generally down in the lowlands and I end up chasing the heavier forested trails.

      Delete
  2. You had a nice day out and about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a couple of very relaxing hours.

      Delete
  3. I feel more relaxed just reading your post. I love the three photos with different lens? Settings? I know nothing about photography, but I do like to admire it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the settings weren't complicated at all except for some adjustments to make sure the Infrared worked properly. But I've been doing this a long time.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.