Wednesday, September 25, 2024

What about it...bone time again...

         It was time for the annual Wellness Visit. Doctors do annual Wellness Visits that are not really 'exams'. For me that entails a fasting lab, and a short visit with the nurse who does the height-weight and blood pressure thing along with the long questionnaire designed to see how your ADL [activities of daily living] are getting along. 

There was a review of medications [right now, none for me] and a review of family history. 

The subject of osteoporosis came up and I came clean that I quit the meds after 2 months and didn't notify anyone. 

I won't be due then for another bone scan until 2025 which is fine with me. The Ibandronate made me so sick with headaches and nausea for 3 weeks after each monthly dose. On the 4th week before taking the med again, I felt pretty normal. 

[If I am not taking the medicine for Osteoporosis, the insurance won't pay for a scan except every two years.]

I have a history of sensitivity to medications. But I kept trying. After 3 strikes, I'd like to call it quits for the moment. 

I'm not in pain, I haven't broken anything, I even got run over by an E-bike and a woman and I came out with just a bruise.

We read the lab test, she asked how I am doing with being a caregiver.

------>>> 

We discussed the bone stuff. 

Here we are again. 

Discussing bone numbers. We discussed the 3 meds I've tried and not gotten along with. 

Of course Prolia was mentioned again. Pretty much because my medication choice has run out of options. 

I told Ann "forget it". 
She agreed that it was my choice ultimately. Then she discussed my results from last year once more. She urged me to call Emily and talk to her. [Emily is an Endocrinologist]

Her biggest point was again to point out to my that my LS [Lower Lumbar spine] scored a -4.8. The scale for Osteoporosis only goes to -5. Ann said she never had a patient with such um, alarming numbers.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
I scored High!
Go Big Or Go Home!

Yet here we are.


I will call Emily's office and either make and appointment or talk with her via phone. 

My biggest concern with Prolia is that it may play badly with me. 

I've reacted terribly to all the bone meds so far. What happens if I start to have hypocalcemia with a 6 month shot in my system? I've had that before with the first med.  It is a critical emergency if that happens. Not all people have it happen, though. 

Prevention of hypocalcemia and by more lab tests. Yum, who doesn't enjoy a needle poke? Another place to monitor is the kidneys. Rut Roh. My kidneys have been flagged, so there is that. 

For 3 years they have been in the low normal range and now have dipped into the hmmm, range.

So what happens if my kidney numbers get worse with the meds? Um? Back to a med that caused me so much pain?


The really fun thing about aging is this. Your body ages, parts start to break down whether we like it or not. Skin gets wrinkly, joints get stiff, ... If only we were like old classic cars that could be rehabbed.

My lower spine got rusty. Unfortunately there is no body shop for spines. 

The issues with where the awful numbers are lies in my lower spine which supports by body weight and helps support my hips and legs. Eventually one way or another there will be a compression fracture in the low back. 

Eventually that causes a domino effect of compression fractures. 

It will happen with or without the medication in my opinion, since at this stage the meds can only maintain me at that low score. 

So I ask. What am I preventing? 


The bottom line is, I am not going to give up Hope. 

I found an inspiration just the other day from one of my older cousins. How much older? I'm not sure. She was a teen when I was a little kid.

I grabbed this from her FB page:


You are seeing it right. She is in Mongolia living with a family and learning to hunt with an Eagle from a Mongolian pony.

I would love to grow up just like her!







18 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:47 PM

    That's a lot of news! Hopefully you and your doctor can agree on something that will help you. I was born with one kidney and am very careful about what I take for meds. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True enough, there are a lot of meds I can't tolerate and my ibuprofen is one that is quite harmful to kidneys, but there are other reasons I can't tolerate it.
      I still haven't called. I just sort of don't want to face the decisions.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, if the illness doesn't get you...
    I hear you. My parts are failing. I keep thinking I am getting lazy, but it just hurts to do stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope to always strive to improve. My low back pain really has been helped by Mobility and mild group workouts with good coaches. Not everyone has that but we have an excellent gym.

      Delete
  3. I had a terrible time with alendronate, the pills, awful side effects. I quit and it was two years before they persuaded me to try Prolia. I did, because my numbers weren't good, to put it mildly. Recently I had the bone test, you have to wait two years to find out. And my spine and most of my hip area is now rebuilt and normal. I had no reaction to the Prolia at all, to my surprise. This is just one person, but I thought you'd like to know, to add it into your thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely am happy knowing this. My numbers are at the top or bottom of the scale. Another bad reading and I'd be at the end of the chart.
      This helps me make up my mind to at least try it with fingers crossed.

      Delete
  4. Oh Val I so understand about not being able to take meds. Or taking them and getting sick. I am sorry that your numbers are bad...you could sure use a break and not a bone break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a darned if you do, darned if you don't decision isn't it. Personally (numbers not as bad as yours) I am in the ignoring the situation stage and holding. I hope you can come up with a path forward. We need to keep you upright, healthy and able!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have deterioration in the spine and elsewhere, but here we are. I am not taking strong meds for it, as much of the damage was done suddenly many years ago. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To med or not to med is totally up to you. For me it's "not to med" . I refused a bone scan (I'm older than you) when my sister had one and got shingles right after it. So no. I will take my old bones as is thanks. We all deteriorate, as you say, and I will take whatever the Good Lord hands out for me, not what the doctors hand out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Understandable this is weighing so heavy on your mind. Your personal Health Care route is a decision only you can make. My best wishes for whatever you decide. {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does weight a lot. The prospect of spinal compression fractures are pretty intimidating. It isn't a possibility without the meds, it is a 100% probability without the meds.
      Imagine me not being able to dig up a garden bed or pick up Charlie for weeks while healing...
      Anyway, I have to do something or try something. Thank you for your support.

      Delete
  9. Well, this is not what you want to hear. I'm glad Boud had some good results from the next drug on your list. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I'm having a conversation with the Endocrinologist next month. I'll give the last med a chance.

      Delete
  10. The first and correct way is to acknowledge that we no longer function as we did in our best years and the second way is to adapt to it.
    Once you've done this, you just have to find the best possible path for yourself...
    It's good humor... just laughing at yourself and taking care of your lovely body and getting it moving in a balanced way.
    Yes, yes I have a good laugh, that's what I try to do...
    and you're on the right path too... aren't you.
    Love to you with a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, your insight is so uplifting.

      Delete
  11. Sorry to hear about this. Medications can be so complex, and everyone seems to respond (or not) in their own way, including side effects. I think you are going about it very logically... carefully weighing benefit vs. side effects. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. If I can see improvement in the bone density and am able to deal with side effects if I have them, it may make a huge difference in my life activities.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.