Sunday, July 14, 2024

There is light...

I thought the Fireflies were done, until I walked out the other night at dusk to put the pony back in his pen for the night.

I thought I'd check out the meadow this time with a view to the northeast.

The old apple tree across the fence is in deep grass and brush. The photo is dark, but you can see that the Lightening Bugs were sure busy!

I then took the camera and faced it towards the evening sky. There was barely any light at all, but the neat thing about modern day cameras is that they pick up light better than the human eye.

The meadow's grass is pretty short here from grazing so I didn't see a lot of bugs lighting up. However the color of the clouds and the sky were beautiful.

I also could see the Big Dipper!



I set up for longer exposures hoping to get more Fireflies and more star movement all in one shot.

I used a 8 minute LiveComp exposure setting on the camera and hit the jackpot.

In the distance there was some lightening from a storm cell, I got the start of a star trail with the Big Dipper at the center, and the Fireflies showed up in great numbers. They also streaked across the sky in front of the camera.

Lucky me, I only got one airplane flying through the exposure.


I set up to do just one more exposure, but the Mosquitoes simply were not cooperative. I could have set the camera up and walked away for 10 minutes but I get nervous leaving the camera on a tripod when we have wildlife that move through the area.

Normally the bugs are not this bad. In fact, I think we are quite spoiled as we don't have lakes and ponds in our area, only rivers and streams. It does cut down on the bothersome skeeters.

Even sunrises are not so much fun right now. 

This was my Friday night attempt at a shots.

The crescent moon is on the left and my neighbor's yard light on their farm 1/2 mile away is on the right.
The fireflies are in the are down below. It was very warm and just after sunset. They were exceptionally active! I was quite surprised. The shot is taken over the mule pasture which is full of weeds and grass.


I turned north and spotted the Big Dipper just coming out in the dusk. It looks as though it is dumping right onto the spot where our house is!




As it got a bit darker, I decided to shoot a star trail over our house with the Big Dipper as the center.

Nah. I didn't quite get the Dipper in the middle and then I quit because no matter how many times I tried...airplanes had decided to use the north-south corridor in their flight pattern.

I tried several times only to continuously get airplane tracks.
One of the planes was rather low!
That is the bright white streak.


In my imagination ... later on. This could have been an alien ship trying to beam us up! Right?

Alas, it was just a small airplane flying low overhead. I imagine it was going to our tiny local airport which was having a pancake breakfast and fly in on Saturday morning.

I guess I'll keep trying.

Last night some storms came through to the south of us. I set up on the porch for a little bit to see if I could catch any lightening action.
Nope.
I did catch the night sky light up with lightening far off and some lightening bugs were busy in the yard.


It would have been cool to catch a lightening bolt.

I gave up and went in as the skeeters decided I was great food.



The night sky is a reminder
that even in the darkest
times.
There will always
be
light.

7 comments:

  1. Marvelous photos of the night skies and the fireflies. I look for the fireflies but I have not seen them yet...I will keep looking:) Skeeters are awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might have to brave the skeeters and the dark. :-0
      Not a good choice!

      Delete
  2. Some really good shots, Val. You know MN, so you also know we are mosquito central!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do! I used to spend my summers just over the border in WI and I was born in Minneapolis. I used to take trips with Dad to the Twin Cities a lot, he'd show me where he hung out as a kid.
      Good memories.
      Lots and lots of ponds and lakes!

      Delete
  3. Just beautiful. You are so talented at catching the most lovely moments. My sky never looks like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in an area that is pretty much designated as a dark sky area. So that helps so much in seeing the stars. One day I won't be so lucky and I sure will miss the night skies!

      Delete
  4. Those blue evening skies are so wonderful. It is the greatest of colors. Good job in capturing them.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.