Tuesday, July 02, 2024

Agrostology

The study of grasses.

I won't become an expert at studying grasses, but I am learning quite a bit about something I've taken for granted all along.
Grass.

Well, it is more than that. To a farmer, what grows in his/her pastures is important to know. Do they have good forage? 

The photo below is of my ridgetop neighbor's oats. She is 85 [yes! she farms at 85 after having 4 heart valves replaced last year! She moves a bit slow while getting into her big red tractors, but she still farms!]

I've always adored her yearly plantings of oats. 


Oats can be so photographic!


How about Timothy Grass?
I've seen it, I know it is in our hay and I walk through it on the roadside. 
BUT
I never thought to look at it closely or 
take its portrait.

The photos below show Timothy Grass showing off its Spikelets.

Cool word. Spikelets.
It is the flowering parts of the grasses.

This one below has a Stink Bug on it!



A few days later in a different light [early morning].




What about them cool Spikelets??


While checking out the grasses, of course I came across clover. It is a legume and not a grass. Well now, that is another difference I'm learning about the world I walk about in.
White clover.


Purple clover!


Next up? Another legume. This I found in another neighbor's field. I always just made an assumption that IF it is green and grows and animals eat it ---> it must be grass.

Boy, I could learn a few things.

Alfalfa.
However, I do know that this also has beautiful tiny blossoms so I'll make it a point to keep walking up to this field every day to try and catch a photo of that.
This is another good forage crop for hay.



And that ends my knowledge list of grasses right now. 

I do know that come winter, I will look through these photos with fond memories and curiosity. They will remind me of how beautiful and green summer is. 
And how stunning something as simple as 'grass' or 'legumes' are.





I never realized how difficult grasses can be to photograph. 

I may never be a true Agrostologist, but I am having so much fun learning about something new.


6 comments:

  1. Awesome photos, you must have had a calm day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a quiet morning which got windy later. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I know all these names, but not the difference between them, Legumes, who knew! Great photos, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never bothered to find out until just recently. I guess it never occurred to me.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6:22 PM

    Being a farm kid I knew most of them. I know making hay with clover is the most iichy over alfalfa. I enjoyed your photos and all the extras that came with the grasses. LD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smell of an alfalfa crop in full bloom. Such a sweet smell!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.