Monday, July 08, 2024

It can be a solo sport....


I watched the weather and saw that it wasn't supposed to rain Saturday morning. I was excited about that and mentioned at the gym that I was planned to go on a sunrise hike. Another lady said she wanted to go. She knew where to park and when I said...."Um, Okay. I will be there around 5AM."

She blinked and said, "Great! Sounds perfect!"

She lives 15 minutes from that parking spot. I live 30-40 minutes from there...it depends on how fast I can drive on a twisted highway with jumping and running hordes of deer. 

Friday evening I got a text: Sorry, but I need to rest up in the morning.

I wasn't surprised, a gaggle of gym folks were meeting at another coach's house for a campfire, singing, and some fireworks.

I texted back: No problem.

Because, really, it wasn't. I'm often surprised if anyone wants to meet me and go hiking. I'm generally a bit skeptical. Mainly because I am perceived as a hard core hiker. But I am not. I hike to anyone else's ability because it is fun to have company.

Except when it isn't.

When I am going solo, I can hike hard and fast as if I were in a race with myself. I know I do. One can't cover the miles going slow and get back home in time to make lunch for hubby. The things that slow me down considerably are amazing views and cool things I see. I always stop for that.

---

I had packed up my camera and backpack the night before so all I had to do in the morning was grab a cuppa decafe and head out.

The fog was intense so my drive took longer.

On the trip there, I counted deer just for fun. Too many.

From the parking spot to the top of the bluff is an elevation of nearly 300 feet. Over the years this has been considered a tough hike. I've taken a few folks here and I have to admit, it is a tough one.

However.
This time it didn't feel hard or even difficult. Charlie knows the way so he led.

I took the next 2 shots with my cell phone which has Nightsite. It was predawn and light enough that I didn't need my headlamp. Even most of the forest was fogged in.





When we reached the trail on the top, Charlie trotted out to the end of the bluff. He knew where we were going and I didn't even have to say anything to him. He is a good hiker.


The view is stunning even if when it is obscured by heavy fog. It literally takes your breath away [that is, if you weren't breathing hard from the climb itself].




And the first views of the sun were glorious. In the shot below you can see the shadow of the bluff I'm on in the fog.
I've never witnessed that before.


Charlie and I sat on the rock for a while and listened to the sounds of a Hoot Owl along with Sandhill Cranes somewhere down in the valley.

I settled down and watched the sunlight reflect off the fog. The fog moved slowly as if it had its own intentions.

I felt an inner peace that is hard to describe. I was only there in the moment. Breathing, watching, and listening. That was the only important thing on my mind.
I didn't want to be anywhere else.

Solo worked for me on this day.



Sometimes the smallest things can take up the most room in your heart.
~Winnie the Pooh



11 comments:

  1. beautiful morning for you and charlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Spectacular views. If I hiked with you, you'd be pulling me in a wagon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never ever hike harder or walk harder than those I am with. So if we ever walked together, it would be at your pace.

      Lol.
      There is a funny story that my pal Bill told folks at the gym about passing out and how must have carried him up the bluff. Too funny.😭🤣

      Delete
  3. Just perfect....
    "Remember what peace there may be in silence" Desiderata

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:19 AM

    You and Charlie are such troopers!!! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who has hiked with you multiple times, you are indeed very considerate (and kind) of others limitations.

    Sometimes it is just better to fly solo.

    Love your photo with Charlie, very special!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh! Yes!
      And you know exactly where we were! I used the same method to get our photo. Camera on tripod and timer. It only took 2 times to get it right.

      This is always such a calming spot.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous4:47 PM

    LD. You did find a beautiful spot. That is an amazing shot of the fog. My grandson is camping and living in you state woods xomewhere in your state. His first time out and I bet he has a great time. Boy Scouts learning new things everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a delightful trip!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.