Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Uffdah

I was hoping to keep it simple this week... Hmmm.

Monday was hubby's annual wellness checkup and nothing has really changed from last year. His legs are swelling up so she had some hints for him to help him with that. Time was of the essence for the appointment as the highway department was getting ready to close a bridge because the Kickapoo River was rising rapidly.

Monday afternoon we got a visit from the Oxygen folks.
We received a portable oxygen concentrator which should give Rich more mobility. It is easier to carry a satchel type item than to drag around a tank. The VA Home Oxygen lady was a great educator. Much better than the person they had previously.

This afternoon, I'm getting a visit from a fellow named Dunnum. He runs a company that does tree trimming, brush hogging, landscaping, cleaning up old junk piles,...delivering hay...
well.... 
you name it, and his folks will do it apparently.
I'm looking to have some trees taken down and two pastures brush hogged along with some other clean up if the prices are right. IF I like his work, I'm gong to have him come twice a summer to brush hog down the weeds in my main pastures. It would save me so much time, frustration, and sweat!

The weather hasn't been conducive for activities outside for even healthy folks. I can get chores done easily, but I am wringing wet by the time I get inside. If I have to do anything for a length of time, I have to wear a gnat net over my hat.

By Wednesday the heat and humidity will come down enough for hubby to enjoy getting on his zero turn and do some mowing.

In other news, our gym now offers a class called Legends. It is for those over 50. The workouts are more personalized and less intense. I love the folks I am working out with. We have a range of ages and abilities. Plus, it is great to meet new people. [most of the folks are wayyy over the 50+ mark!]

One of the ladies just finished up her chemo and radiation, and is gently easing back into fitness and mobility. I have to hand it to her. She makes me feel as if anything is possible. 
We do the same workouts as the regular classes, but with more adjustments. I switched to this class because the scheduling works out much better for me.
I can monitor Rich's morning routine and go to class while he naps.

I still do a regular class once a week so I get 3 days in. It is a win win for me right now. Come winter, I may just stick with the smaller class for us older folks. I think none of us would come when we are sick? Fingers crossed.


Below:
Hummingbird Moth 
on Bee Balm.


Below:
Little Richard
doing yard work on
the hillside.


 If this Dunnum fella is easy to work with. I'll take some shots of what needs to get done so I can have some before and after shots for comparison. 

So many things have been let go since my husband's cancer and stroke that I feel I need to make an effort to get things back on track.

Wish me luck!

13 comments:

  1. I plan to mow tomorrow. It's been raining and humid and....just miserable. Since I started having mobility problems the property has fallen into disarray. I can happen fast. I'm more able to work now but the weather has made that not possible. I do hope this guy works out for you. As far as the oldster classes, the important thing is to keep moving and this will give you more flexibility (schedule wise) and still keep you moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back on track...yes that sounds like a plan, I hope that fellow is reasonable and easy to work with. Yes I think older people tend to stay home if they are sick. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having someone else do the hard work is a necessity as we age. Hope you like his work. Ummm Little Richard is looking more like a Bubba!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a mini crop out or a pony?? He stands at 31 inches and is an old old stud we used for teasing our mares before we presented the Jack to them. He is so mild mannered and a great yard pony.
      I think he is around 32 years old now. He is a great friend.
      :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Wow- 32! That is a venerable age for any horse or pony.

      Delete
  4. I'm right there with your situation and hope the Dunnum crew does a good job for you. It's very hard to find contractors and handymen. I'll consider it inspiration and keep trying if your project goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so also. He does a lot of local work and we used to eat at his father's cafe in town. So fingers crossed. He hasn't come by yet, but I'm sure he will show up.

      Delete
  5. Crossing my fingers and toes that the Dunnum Crew is what you need to pull things together. Isn't it great when a healthcare worker makes that connection and is easy to get along with! I hope the portable oxygen makes life easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, he is still struggling with how to get along with this new contraption, but I think it will work out well.
      As for the crew? Yikes, he put me off yet again so I am crossing my fingers that I am not being blown off.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous8:15 PM

    Little Richard is such a cutie! Good news about the oxygen setup for your husband...and going on the zero turn has to make him happy too. I love keeping my pastures mown. The grass is so much nicer and the weeds are gone. You will love it and so will your charges. Let someone else do some of that heavy work for you... Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am hoping! He sent me a text that said he'd be out and ... well, he wasn't sooooo.... I may end up calling someone else. Hubby said give him more time. :(

      Delete
    2. PS...Yes, Little Richard is a cutie! His manners for a stud are awesome. He is also handled at least 3 times a day when I lead him to a new spot for eating or take him for a walk to a big water tub. He is my pal.

      Delete
  7. That is such a wonderful horse. I like his colors and his shape.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.