Monday, November 20, 2023

Cleaning and Building



 What better way to fight off the hunter's blues than to engage in something totally different. You all know that my husband fights depression and has had it for all the years we've been together.

Physically he cannot hunt any more. It used to be the 9 days of the year that he'd go off into the woods and sit quietly by himself. He'd come back tired or cold, but always in good spirits. Often he'd tell me in great detail of all the things he saw while in his place of wonder.

2013 Photo:


I pulled out the Holiday Main Street Set set and started to sort items. After breakfast, while I was doing the chores, ....some one....
starting sorting pieces on his own.
He loves to find the Minifigures right away and try to put them together. His hands shake a lot, so sometimes he gets it and sometimes I return to find a Minifig with no head or wig laid out on the table.

He laughs, he smiles, he grins, and even participates in the silliness.

Ask him if he does it? He will emphatically deny everything. It is childish and beneath his Warrior Mind.

Yet, he delights in adding to the his own narrative to the story unfolding in front of us.

"That shop keeper lady, she looks grumpy. Why is she so grumpy?"

I don't think she is grumpy, she is smiling but her glasses may make her look grumpy?

"No, she doesn't have any customers. That is why she is Grumpy."

Oh...of course!





"What if that train thing had a run away? The conductor guy isn't looking!"
Hubby reaches over and gives it a little push. The trolley runs into some Lego people. 
"Uh OH!"

No Lego minifigs were hurt in this dramatic scene....



I went upstairs to put something away and ended up working in the spare rooms to unclutter my self made messes. I sorted out old clothes I hadn't worn in ages, got rid of an old tattered blanket[s]. Disposed of junk I was saving to make junk dioramas. Who needs extra bottle caps when I am always getting them? Sorted the action figures, some Legos, arranged the Teddy Bears, dusted,...

and filled a huge contractor bag full of stuff I needed to get rid of. There is so much more to do both upstairs and in the tiny basement. 

The basement project will start after Thanksgiving when I start sorting things out for the Christmas Chair.

Meanwhile, on the table it seems that Santa is anxious to get started on his own projects. Looks like he hired the Construction worker to help build a tree.


I'm not sure why he is using a wrench though.

Hubby really had a joyful day and we topped it off with Homemade Lasagna.



4 comments:

  1. Way to make "lemonade out of lemons" together, and you cooked too!! What a wonder-filled Christmas village! Looks like the construction worker is ready with his handy dandy wrench. You know, incase the tree needs adjusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:09 PM

    I love the photo of your husband and am so glad he had a good day! Simple pleasures!!! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart girl to take advantage of being shut in away from the hunters. I try to purge while I am in the mood. Great that the legos are helping with your husband's depression. It is sad and frustrating not to be able to do what you used to look forward to doing. I am glad he is showing the same whimsical spirit that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy that Legos bring joy to Rich!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.