Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Bad Bad Air

I'm getting tired of orange/brown skies. 

Sunrises like this one from yesterday are not beautiful or enchanting any more.


The meadow to the east shows a grey nasty sky of smoke and haze.


The girls were totally unenthused about returning to our meadow.
They can head to the woods and find grasses and browsing, but would rather that I bring them some hay. Which I did.


The grey mule has breathing issues and I cannot imagine that this smokey haze is any better for her lungs than it would be for my hubby.

By noon, it was just this... this shot taken from our porch. I could smell wood smoke from the Canadian Wildfires. My thoughts were this: If it is so dry here in the Midwest, how long before our states experience wildfires too? 

I can't even imagine.

With all the chores done early, I just popped out later to add water to the feed pan that the birds were using as a birdbath and source of water.

My Lego friends and Squatch were on the porch. Apparently they were better prepared than I was for the smoke.


I decided to stay in and run the air purifier and the dehumidifier on the Mini Split. 

That led to doing things indoors that I'd put off. It felt odd to be stuck indoors. Even Charlie decided that being on the porch wasn't something he wanted to do. He did his business and never went to his spot and laid down like he normally does. 

Maybe the dog is smarter than I am. [Hey, no comments!]


This was supposed to be the sunrise today 15 seconds:


At noon today I drove out to get the mail and drop off some egg cartons at Olive's house. This was the ridge views.



I stuck close to the house again and for a little while messed around taking photos in my wildflower gardens.

I think I may have caught two insects mating? 




Well. Even if the smoke is heavy? Love is in the air?

--I skipped the workout at the gym for the past two days. The air is nasty and I'm not thrilled about breathing it in when I can smell wood and chemicals.

We are still at 'unhealthy' status of the 150 - 200 index. Hopefully by noon tomorrow it will fall back into just a 'yuck' status.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:00 PM

    Your air looks worse than ours. Our Air Quality Index is now at 121. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are at 154 index which is a lot better than you. I couldn't believe the haze being so bad here that the neighbor's house two spots away was grayish. We are on the better edge than you so you have to stay inside. You are good to the mules and they sort of deserve it. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad here too. We are running the Ac and the air purifier and staying in at least we did today:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure has been hard to breath outside so far this Summer...dry air/allergens/smoke/humidity. Lotsa yuck. Hopefully this is just an off year. I wonder what July & August will bring us? Glad you guys have a new heat/cool system installed in your home to make life better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was reading that the smoke form the Quebec wildfires made its way over to Europe.
    Sure looks awful , hope you get some good rain to clear the air soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are also under air quality alert but not as bad as what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is awful, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.