Sunday, January 24, 2021

Ice hunting part II

The wind chills were pretty darned cool. I think it may have gotten up to about 10F.

Hubby said 'Geeze, isn't it cold?'

I replied with my catch phrase. 

"Det finnes ikke darlig vaer darlig klaer!" 

Actually I don't speak Norwegian but said it in English.
There's no bad weather, only bad clothes.


Maybe I love the cold weather so much because I can wear all my funky crazy hats that are warm and odd.  More on my hats some other time.

Snowshoes were my choice this time. They have long teeth for climbing slippery ice packed slopes and can keep a person from wading through deep snow while brush busting. [Read that as going off trail.]
I wear snowshoes with crampons. My old ones have never failed me yet. 


The picture above is taken where I was standing on a steep slope. Below me is a stream. Last time I was through here, the traction was terrible. This is not a path I would suggest to those with poor balance skills. 

I stopped and looked at the first set of ice formations. After the next snow it will look like there are floating islands of waterfalls. This is always impressive to see.



I even tried it with my little Canon ELPH infared camera. The unedited shot right out of the camera looks horrid.

Without direct sun and 'into' shade, this little camera has a terrible time. I mean this photo looks like mud.
Even with some edits, it didn't turn out much better. 
The pocket camera is very limited and IR can be very tricky. This shot turned out noisy and honestly, pretty crappy. But I tried!


I climbed over the ridge and found the equine trail we used to ride from Ma and Pa's Camp. I followed that over the next set of ice formations and trekked through Prickly Ash and low branches to drop into the next valley. 

A nice little hiking 
challenge



Yes, those snowshoes were a huge help! 

I ended up where I'd taken Bill and the kids two weeks ago.
This is the Infrared Version of it.


I was more interested in experimenting with the tiny pocket camera than I was in using the regular one.
I wanted to go wild with Infrared and see what winter would do to it.

The Beaver Dam


Cool Tree


What if we did see in a different 
spectrum of light?


Wiester Creek Ice


My favorite one of
the day.



And then...
Wiester Creek in regular color...


I just sent in my older Olympus to be converted to full spectrum so I can enjoy the alternate colors of the light spectrum. 
I admit, it is not for a lot of people. But for me it is another way of exploring how we see things.

My little Canon really stinks in low light, and it rarely focuses properly if you try to zoom in on a scene. But I've figured out how to work with it and have fun.
That is my point. Explore and have fun. 

Oh and

"Det finnes ikke darlig vaer darlig klaer!" 





14 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:50 AM

    I like that quote. It does make sense that we need the right clothes for the weather. The ice formations are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do tend to get overexcited about winter, but that is because I live in such a beautiful area for winter activities. A city street would not excite me much I don't think. So I am lucky to have this around me.

      Delete
  2. Cool hat, I mean warm hat! I wish hats fit me better, they usually don't fit my big head. Wow, Wiester Creek is beautiful - you captured it so well! You are brave to go hiking on slippery slopes in Winter alone. I like snowshoeing so far (my first year) but my messed up foot struggles more with them on frozen uneven ground than with boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snowshoes take a while to get used to and easier to use if you are on a trail, that might help it not be so hard? I've been doing this for nearly 30 years and climbing over logs and creek jumping with them. But I have tons and hours of experience.
      I leave a 'plan' of where I am going when alone and stick to it.
      Wiester Creek is a must see winter place on the KVR.
      Thanks, glad you liked the pics.

      Delete
    2. The snowshoes I have seem to work best on fresh untraveled snow, more like me that maneuvers in them easier on fresh snow *^* Most of our trails are newish, not very flat or clear and well traveled (us, dogs and wild critters). I can count on one hand how many times I've been to KVR, altho never hiked it. Hope to trail ride there again some day...it is my favorite local-ish place. Except I am not doing the river crossing again!! I blogged about crossing it years ago, and since I survived made a fun video. If interested, enter "kickapoo" in my blog search bar.

      Delete
    3. That crossing is no longer in use though some still do use it. It became choked with underwater hazards after the 2016 and 2018 floods. It is officially closed now. :) Fun video!

      Delete
    4. I am glad to hear that crossing is closed. It was dangerous. I have a friend who is a seasoned rider almost drown, got injured along with her horse a few years ago. I could never understand why the crossing was at that spot. Around a bend, right where the current picks up dramatically and before a drop off just a few feet away. I am sure there were reasons, but the river was calm(er) a few feet to the right. I assume you used to cross it with your mules?

      Delete
    5. Yes we did. The river changes constantly because with rains or floods each year. We always were cautioned to find out how the crossing was from others. Some years it was deep and swift so we avoided it, other years it was shallow and gentle. There used to be a bridge next to that crossing too.
      They closed that trail the campsite that was near there also in 2018.
      I have to give the folks who care for KVR a lot of credit for all the hard work they put in. Of course they have a lot of volunteers who help also.
      I hope you get to ride the trails again.

      Delete
    6. Val, I have huge respect for those that maintain and care for our nature areas. It is a never ending job and without them the public wouldn't be able to experience the area. Interesting about the bridge. The closed campground you mentioned is where we parked (I bet you figured). Thanks for sharing. I am thoroughly enjoying more KVR vicariously through you!!

      Delete
    7. Actually 'G' was a hike in or canoe only access and was not far from the bluffs of the Ice cave trail between old 131 and the river close to the equine river crossing. It used to have a rope hanging from a pine for swinging on and dropping into a deep section.
      If you had a trailer, you probably parked at Star Valley or Mule Camp which is also called J. Hopefully you don't think I was being picky about camp site names.
      It has taken me nearly 3 years of hiking all the trails to figure it all out.
      When I was riding, I never paid attention other than to follow and listen to the other riders.
      I never thought I'd like the hiking part better than the riding. But there you go. I do because basically I have no way to trailer any more.
      KVR is a place I love deeply and have explored it since 1992.

      Delete
  3. Great pics as always. Love the "White Tree" filter. I always thought that was a Russian Proverb. But it makes sense for Swedish and Norwegians as well. We used to say that in Alaska all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be a Russian proverb, I wouldn't know. We live in a Norwegian area of WI so old sayings are always around to remind us!
      I like that IR filter too! It is so much fun, thank you.

      Delete
  4. Fun stuff! I like that blueish photo the second to the last one. It would make a great puzzle! I have some funky hats too and sometimes people say crude remarks about my hats and parkas...I don't care as long as I am warm. We are escaping the next round of snow:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that last bluish cast one was also Infrared. I think running around in skinny jeans and wide open jackets with no hats when it is 10F is silly. I'm like you, I like to be warm.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.