Saturday, January 16, 2021

A sense of wonder


 


The above video is of the Robins singing. It may not be very clear and you may have to listen very hard. I took this so I could play the audio for Rich when I got home. 
My intention was to hike with Charlie along the creek and find a good spot for the Lonely Looking Bear to sit. I brought a Rabbit to be his friend.

When I got to the Ice Wall, I stopped to listen. Birds.
Bird song. Not just the Nuthatches or the Cedar Waxwings...no, and not just Cardinals either. A sound...

gosh

a sound I shouldn't hear in January!

Robins? It could NOT be!

Yet there they were. Hundreds of them flocking through the oak trees in the valley. I called Charlie in close and sat at the base of a tree. 
Just
Sat

and listened. 

You know what? I forgot about the outside world. Whatever was occurring outside that valley was not important. The bird song was important. 

Mindful

Every day
I see or I hear
something
that more or less

kills me
with delight,
that leaves me
like a needle

in a haystack 
of light.
It is what I was born for--
to look, to listen,

to lose myself
inside this soft world--
to instruct myself
over and over

in joy....
~~Mary Oliver


4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:27 AM

    Beautiful sentiment in the poem and such a delight to hear the robins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindful...good food for thought. I've had the occasional Robin stick it out through Winter at our previous home, but certainly not 100's of them. Wow! Glad you lost 'er found yourself out in nature. My favorite place to be me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I hope he finds enough to eat! Suppose he is lost or is spring coming early?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were hundreds of them, I've never seen anything like it. They won't do well unless they can find enough berries and insects.! :O

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.