Sunday, November 17, 2019

Comfort Zones

On Friday at CrossFit Coach Luke was watching everyone doing strict presses. We were to do 5 reps at 80% of our best.

Of course I had no clue what that would be for me, since I was still sorting out the movements for each type of lift. I went with a weight that I could handle. Luke walked up to me and said, "More weight Val." I must have had a look in my eye that said, what???
He smiled and added weight and said, "You need to get out of your comfort zone and make it hard. It is supposed to be a challenge. That is how you get stronger."

It was harder. In fact at the 5th lift I wasn't sure I could lock my arms out. With a lot of cheering by Luke standing behind me [spotting me for safety], I did it. I then struggled through the reps with cheers from everyone.

Before I left I thanked Luke for pushing me.

While I was driving to the 'photo' shoot for my friend I was a bit nervous. I'd never done a Family Shoot before.
Rich had said I'd be just fine. I wasn't sure.
My stomach was in knots.

And then I thought about what my coach had said. "You need to get out of your comfort zone."

Well indeed, he was right. Look at all the things I've done out of that Comfort Zone. Looking back on the past year there are so many things I've done or had to do that I've never done before.
As I turned into my friend's driveway I took a breath and almost laughed.

Oh heck, I learned how to drive a skid steer and work on lawn mowers, and build fences over the past year.
This suddenly I didn't feel strange or uncomfortable.

I could do this.

And.
I did.
I had a blast and learned a lot.
So far the family is happy with what I did.

So later today I'll finish up the shots and transfer them to a memory stick.

And I guess I'll be ready for the next Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah good for you! Sigh of relief for you! Headed for the cities in the am for two days of appts...what fun...at least I won't have to cook or clean or shovel snow:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you will be taking your knitting? Two days of appts...uff.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.