Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Treasures!

This little pot below was in a box with some chicken figurines, salt and pepper shakers, and a 'Teapot' as the guy said.
It is not a teapot but a Drip-O-Lator Coffee Pot made around the 1920-1930's. There would have been a drip thing that goes on between the lid and the pot itself.
Interesting!
Wish I would have taken an interest in Antique stuff when MIL was doing these things. 
It is fun to figure out what some of this is.


Trinket Box. I was surprised to find this in the box too. It is cute as all get out. Tiny as can be too. 
It could hold about two wedding rings inside of it.


The Rooster and Hen figurines is what I wanted. Heck I tried to get my MIL for years to sell or gift these figures to me. She always said no, but never in a mean way. I just loved them ever since I first saw them.
I've looked these up and now I understand why she kept them. They do have a nice value to them. I wasn't looking for the value, I just loved the chickens!


The tiny chicken salt and pepper shakers!
The checker board behind them was another item I purchased. Just as a reminder of all the wonderful times I had at Mom's place and how I've always admired her homes and neat decorations.


This is something I saw when the auctioneer held it up. For some reason, I'd never noticed this before in MIL's collection of neat glass paper weights. She really loved these things and had quite the collection.

This is a St. Clair 'Carnival Glass' paperweight. Pretty unusual.
I didn't intend on getting any paper weights, but this was so different than any I'd seen, I purchased it.
When I got home I had to look up what 'Carnival Glass' was and what and who St. Clair was.
It is pretty and odd.
It suits me fine.


Copper Ash/Coal Scuttle.
I love the lions face on the handles.


My mother in law had this in her apartment and over many years I recall helping her decorate her place with her silk flower arrangements in all of these cool and odd containers. To tell you the truth I thought it was pretty and kind of odd at the same time. Hey, I am odd too. When I bought this at the auction I just did because it was neat.
Then I thought ... Hey I can put my stick Christmas Tree in this! Many folks use them as an umbrella stand. I have an umbrella, it is in my Subaru.

The one item I'd gone for was a sort of ... chicken nesting box/turned coffee table... primitive sort of piece. I'll have to get a good photo of it and show it off.

Years ago I admired this too. My father in law said he'd make one for me and my oldest son. We raised chickens a long time ago and this item was just so neat. It served as a small coffee table/display table in my MIL's house and in her apartment.
Lonnie had cut most of the pieces out for the duplicate table but passed away before the project ever took off.

And how is my MIL doing? Pretty well. She got to see her grand daughter this weekend and the great grand children. I was in on Monday to visit with her and she was tired and half in and out of her bed. I had a nurse help me get her situated and she asked me why I was there. I told her it was lunch time. She told me it was night time.
I let her sleep. Indeed the day was gloomy and overcast.

Her slippage changes often. Yesterday she brightly recalled her apartment when last week she didn't recall it at all. That is the confusing part of dementia/slippage for those of us who see it daily. One day is bright and clear, the next is something of a fog when there are gaps. And memories don't always fit together, but are jumbled in a different order.

However I am quite grateful for the figurines and the little treasures. I know the money from the auction goes towards paying for her care and I get to enjoy the items I so loved.

It is a sad win/win situation and a bit bittersweet in a way.



4 comments:

  1. We have chicken figurine jokes in my family. It would take too long to explain it. But I'm glad you got the chickens you desired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny. I've always liked chickens on towels and whatnot. Bought some little figurines a year ago just for some fun. These are really nice! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Interesting treasures. I love the paper weigh it is stunning! I have never seen a Carnival Glass paperweight. The coal scuttle is a great piece too! My Grandmother had many sets of chickens, she loved them...I have my eye on one set my Mom has but where would I put them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rotate my stuff in and out. Every once in a while I take down my knick nacks and swap them out for another set of stuff. I have a tiny house so it is fun to do. I didn't have any clue as to where these would go. Right now they are residing above the kitchen sink so I can enjoy them!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.