Thursday, September 17, 2026

Chasing waterfalls

After the sunrise at Brockway Mountain and the stop at Esrey Park, we hit the next place my son wanted me to see.
Silver River Falls.

I intended to take shots like the one below so I could remember each place we stopped. Nah, I didn't remember to do that. At least I can look it up on maps.




The roaring water was wonderful. I like waterfalls. I love waterfalls. I love rivers.

Apparently my son and Em and Mari do also. Mari played in the cold water [in a safe spot] while we walked around and I took some shots.


Jer brought the tripod, but I was able to do some hand held shots. 1/20th of a second exposures do give a sense of the motion of the water. The morning was heavily overcast, so it was easier than trying to expose in a glaring bright day.

There is a trail of sorts alongside the river that allows you to check things out. Me? I would have seen how far I could have hiked towards Lake Superior, but we had so many more things to see. 


We loaded up and headed towards Great Sand Bay.

Lake Superior is like visiting the ocean. It is windy, chilly, and loud with waves crashing into the shore.


Because of the blowing sand and water spray, I kept my camera in my backpack. But still, one can take some decent shots with a cell phone these days.



We spent quite a while 'beach combing' and enjoying the thunderous waves. The winds were so strong that the dune grasses drew swirls in the sand.



Jacob's Falls was our next stop.

This was the most curious thing I've ever seen on a roadside trail. Ashes? But in a way, I understood this completely. I doubt I'd have left a whole box.



This was my first glimpse of the falls and this is where most folks stop. Not my group. 







...and yes, I climbed up these roots to get higher while my son was climbing from the opposite side below.

See the blue jacket? That was my kid.


He survived, but I was worried that he'd fall in.



While I was gone, this project finished up.  There is just some touch up work left. But the new view out my back door is now pretty amazing.



 

Our exploration of Gay Michigan was interesting enough that it deserves its own write up. --> Soon.







20 comments:

  1. Gotta love a family that loves waterfalls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we love adventuring together so much!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:37 AM

    Beautiful scenery! RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was, and there was so much to see!

      Delete
  3. Your new garage-less view is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I could park there, have a dance there, or even set up an outdoor patio! Endless possibilities!

      Delete
  4. Great family adventure! Maybe you can install a waterfall in the cleared off space? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's concrete there, however if I had the $$$ It would be fun to set up a small shed and make it a studio for photography. Just a wish and not reality though.

      Delete
  5. I've spent a lot of time with Lake Superior. I read years ago it is an inland sea and I believe it. It is marvelously foreboding. You had so much fun. The change on your property is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the lake/inland sea like Ontario, Michigan, and Eerie are fascinating. Superior I visited once in 1983. Ex and I took a 5 day trip around Superior. It was so amazing then and so wonderful to go back to parts I hadn't seen.
      LOL. I convinced the Ex we should go skinny dipping. I asked to hold the camera while he undressed...well, I got photos of a bare butt. But to his credit, he got in the frigid waters!
      Yes the change is what needed to happen!

      Delete
  6. I love waterfalls too! I can’t get enough of them. It’s always something I search out whenever we’re travelling somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am drawn to water. Water falls, rivers, creeks, springs, and lakes, they all calm me for some odd reason.
      I could have sat at that Great Sand Bay for a long time. Then the kids took me to a more fascinating beach...one after another.

      Delete
  7. What a spectacular place to visit! I love that all three generations had such a good time exploring! Isn't Mother Nature awesome! And like mother, like son!
    My friend has been sprinkling ashes all over the country in places she and her late husband have memories. I think a whole box was maybe a little much.
    I can't wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working through this slowly while keeping up with current amazing sights I am finding in our forest.

      Delete
  8. I have been to Gaylord but not Gay.
    You actually lucked out with the light.
    Cell phones are great if you don’t have special requirements like needing to shoot at 1/20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some cells have a feature that imitates a long exposure and it works quite well. I haven't posted any of those yet.
      Gay is and interesting place, a copper mine that attracted a lot of immigrant workers. I think I left a link on the Flickr site. It is a fascinating place and one of my favorite places to photograph.
      Odd since it is ruins and not scenery.

      Delete
  9. I like the photo of Mari running on the sand. Fun memories! Is that a shrine along the trail? Very curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was two boxes of ashes with rocks that had a birthdate and date of passing. I assume someone left it there in memory of someone that absolutely love the UP.
      Mari was running wild and free, chasing gulls and full of life. She has two gull feathers in her hand and was attempting to fly and make bird noises.
      She loved the water!

      Delete
  10. I have never been up that way but I need to put it on my bucket list whenever we go road tripping again after seeing these photos. Lovely one of your family. The tree root climb was fascinating. In my heart I would have loved climbing it, the spirit is willing and all that, lol! Thanks for the share Val. Sounds like an amazing trip with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go know that some of the hikes to see the water and beaches can be demanding but doable. One thing I'd recommend is taking a paid tour in a boat to see Pictured Rocks from the lakeside. We didn't do that, but it looked fascinating and I'll do it one day.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.