Friday, September 04, 2026

Deconstruction Day

We started out with a foggy and rainy morning that promises to be wet, rainy, and humid. The mules were out in the south pasture fog just doing there thing until....



Patrick showed up.
 


2 hours later:


One of the huge surprises was that the concrete floor of the garage is not chipped, broken, or heaved.

In fact the trees that grew in there grew from dirt and leaves that had accumulated in piles. So I could have a nice parking spot, I could make it a patio, I could put up a gazebo, or even one of those premade little sheds. 

I always wanted to put up a tiny shed with windows in it for my own private studio. What a great dream that would be. 
Probably too...$$$.

A craft area. But heat and cooling would be an issues. Just tossing ideas out there. 
Maybe even a little outdoor fireplace.

Anything is better than looking at the garbage filled old smashed up garage. 

My husband fought me for 13 years on tearing this building down. But now, I'm happy to say I took the dive to pay for a demo and cleanup. 

I'm sorry Rich, but I had to do it for my own sanity. Almost most everything in there was totally destroyed by years of neglect. Now? Let's rejoice for having some more beauty put back in our land.

10:43 He is cleaning up what he can fit into his truck. 


This will open things up and not make the house feel crowded by an old crushed garage. Filling his truck and taking the trips took more time than the demolition did.
But he got the job done as he said he would. He will return after the dumpster is picked up and do the rest of the work in that area.

The video 6 seconds of an 8 hour job.



He estimated one dumpster would do the trick. The garage had more unusable 'stuff' in it than he thought. He filled the dumpster and had to fill his truck 3 times and take it to the landfill. [Extra costs, I'm sure]

He picked up the metal pieces and delivered them to the Scrapper that had been out here earlier this year.

What next?

Landscaping and seeding along with cleaning up the piles of dirt.

I'll have a nice concrete pad.

I don't know what I'll do next....



I could.....do something like this....


Probably not practical, but it would be cute. Annoying visitors could sleep there too. 

Possibilities. But for now, we continue the clean up.


PS. Blogger is not publishing comments for me at this point in time. 😔

26 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:23 PM

    I vote for the shed/studio/hideout! Go for it! Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'd love to have it for a hideout! Better yet would have been in the campground, but a base would have had to have been built out there.

      Delete
  2. You sure had a lot of stuff to get rid of! The little shed (aka guest cottage) seems like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be a great idea but the cost is something I have to consider plus the taxes on it...unless I present it as a garden shed.

      Delete
    2. The 'stuff' was accumulation of 'stuff' by hubby and most of it was trash after being exposed to the weather for many years.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6:01 AM

    I enjoyed watching the video!! How do you make a video like that? Very cool! Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used my trail camera on Time Lapse mode and moved it around, then just dropped it into a time lapse program.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:47 AM

    It’s looking so good. Can’t wait to see how you utilize the clean slab! RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must feel so great to have that job done.
    I think it would be a perfect spot for a “She Shed”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago I wished for a 'she' shed. Now I have full run of our cottage so.... I have a 'she' cottage. Still the thought of having some extra space is tempting.

      Delete
  6. You have accomplished a huge amount of cleanup. The most cost efficient would be a patio with a fire pit. It looks like there would be shade. I’m envisioning many beautiful potted plants on the patio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. A potted plant area would be a good use of it in the summer.

      Delete
  7. loved the video! You go girl. I am sure Rich was overwhelmed where to even start with his projects and it was a kindness to remove it all for him. And I bet he is looking down with some ideas for that concrete pad, too. Gosh, it is in perfect condition! I am full of ideas. You are smart to think of the tax liability too. I bet you could purchase a really cute playhouse type shed and make it a summer sleepover playhouse. But I would check and see if even a garden shed is taxed and at what rate. So many possibilities. Even a circle of Adirondack chairs with a fire circle table! A relief to have it down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much until all the other work around here is done, it will be a blank slab of concrete and no purchases of any sort as I'm being careful in these economic times. Good to dream about it though.
      A couple of fold up chairs, a rug, and maybe an old spool for a table. Cheap and efficient ... or just leave it alone for the time being.

      Delete
  8. Looks like Patrick made short work of that structure! You could do like a Tough Shed with solar panels (same $$ on running electrical to it) for probably not too much. Always nice to have a concrete pad. Gives you lots of options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The electric was already there and the wires are there. However, I'm going to have Patrick make sure they are not ruined and in the future --- Patrick is also an Electrician, he could provide electric to anything I put there if I do. Or if future owners would want to.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a lot of work. That tiny house is cute.
    I have had a hard time making any comments on blogger for a few days. Looks like it's back to normal now though, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the video! That certainly made light of the work - hahaha! One of my friends bought a prefab storage building with a little front porch on it. She's insulated it and they are in the process of putting a mini split in it for heat and air. Her's is darling! Just saying!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've considered that also, but adding such a building could raise the taxes and it will cost $$$. So for now, it will be a slab. I may change something in a while but have to be careful with the $$$$.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations—it’s wonderful that you’ve accomplished this big step...
    Now enjoy the moment and just dream for a while about how you might develop it further—stress-free—dreaming does you good :-))
    A hug for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least for the rest of the year I am not even going to worry about it! Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Happy to be commenting again, yay! Also happy for you to get everything cleared out, congratulations! I hope you get your she-place one day, or a place to put annoying visitors. That gave me a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! If I have a place for annoying visitors, I might get more than I bargained for!
      For now and through next spring, I'll just mull it over, no real hurry, I do still have my camping spot.

      Delete
  13. I am sure Rich would be happy you are making the place better for yourself.
    I sent my late mother's painted leather couch to the dump. It had to have been from the 60s. I imagined her flying down behind the vehicle loudly complaining. I am sure she was in a better place, though, and understood! I was pretty stressed at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cool. I love what you might replace it with. Good for you to go ahead and take the initiative to do this. It will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:52 PM

    LD....That will transform the look of everything. It is amazing how much a hoarder can do over many years. My late brother-i-law left behind 4 short dumpsters of things.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.