Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Mill Bluff and Roche- a- Cri State Parks

Before driving to my son's house last Friday, I stopped back at Mill Bluff and explored the other half of the trails.


Last time I was there in the start of August, I walked the stairs to the top of the bluff and enjoyed the overlook. I noticed on the map of the area that I could hike around the bluffs that I saw in the distance. I decided to go back without the dogs and really check it out.

Here was that view:


In the upper right corner of the photo, there are more bluffs. They are part of the park also and have trails around them and apparently there is a faint trail one could use to climb to the top of the bluff.

I found the parking spot and started up the sandy trail when I saw this sign.



Timber rattle snakes
have been reported
on this trail
Be careful

I was happy that I chose this time not to bring my dogs. I did not hear or see any snakes but I did keep my eyes peeled.

The trail around the bluffs isn't difficult, part of it has been maintained in its natural state of grasslands and scrub oaks with prescribed burns. Other parts have grown in thick forests because of fire suppression that has been used over many years.



The goal for me was to find the 'faint' trail to the top of the bluff. 


....and I did. 


I spent a long time on top of this bluff. My mind was peaceful. That is what I wished to achieve. I'd done what I'd set out to do.


And...I saw no snakes.

I climbed 340 feet to the top of a bluff and just enjoyed the view. In case you haven't guessed. I like rocks and bluffs.




The next stop was Roche-A-Cri Mound. No dogs allowed. I can understand why because the are consists of 303 metal stairs to the top of the bluff.










I did explore the petroglyphs and hiked another one of the trails. I found an abundance of cool fungi and rocks.

But it was time to hit the road north to my son's place where we'd take naps and get up at 1am to drive to the UP and see the sunrise I just talked about in the last blog.

That...was the first part of the whirlwind trip.

I managed to knock off two more areas that I have wanted to see for a long time. I'll definitely go back to that Bluff I hope yet this fall to see what the change of seasons bring.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.