Sunday, October 29, 2023

Never a dull moment

Kaboom. This is the oak that fell next to the old red shed.

In the first photo, you can see the wood stacked up by Olive
and her hubby in late April.
A slippery elm fell over after
a wet heavy snowfall.

The old oak fell right on a metal fence post and drove it another foot into the ground. The thing I love about my enduro soft fencing is that I can repair it so easily. I just rerouted the fence to go around the fallen tree and it was all good until my neighbor came down.



This photo shows the base of the tree. The one part that is leaning to the right is also dead and hung up in another oak. It may come down yet this winter or years from now. There is nothing holding it in the ground.

My neighbor and I decided to just ignore that for now. I will have to hunt around and get someone with some equipment and insurance to come out and do some work for me.  A dozer could push the whole works over and be done with it.

As it is, it may one day fall and crush my little shed.

Justin did some quick and hard work. He also set aside some nice oak firewood that he'll pick up at some point.



I spent all day cutting up branches with a nipper and rolling rotten chunks of wood to the fire. At least it was 34 degrees out so it was comfortable working hard. I am pooped! 

Tomorrow the neighborhood children will come to trick or treat and show Rich and I their costumes! What nice people I have on our road! Parents making sure that the housebound veteran gets to see kids in costumes. I am really quite lucky. There are 3 homes on our ridge that have children now. What a delight. 

Charlie got a costume to greet children with.
HE is not impressed.


Then he yawned and I got this! He looks frightening. But he isn't.



My cellphone catches more than one shot when the subject is moving. I thought the yawning was hilarious.


Never a dull moment at our place.

8 comments:

  1. OOOOH, he's scary! We live in a soft wood woodland so I understand falling down trees.Oak is great for burning. We have never had trick or treaters here. I was strange at first after living my life in a city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the neighbor stacked up wood for himself for later next year. He'll probably get it in a week or so. He has a new wood stove in his house and can use the wood.
      We have a mini split and an LP heater. We don't burn wood basically because hubby has too much trouble with smoke and he can't handle a chain saw anymore.
      Nice wood, the parts that weren't rotten!

      Delete
  2. Free firewood for your neighbour and help to remove it for you- win win!
    Charlie looks ferocious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute Hotdog Charlie! Hazard trees are awful to deal with. We have a couple that should come down...if they come down in the wind they will most likely get hung up in other tree limbs. Country living! I have heard that only a few kids will be trick or treating this year in this area...they are all growing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are. Hiring someone may be the only solution.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful you have trick or treaters. When our kids were young, the whole neighborhood trick or treated. These days we never get anyone. The parents pack them up and take them to greener candy pastures. This year we manned a station at our grandson's nursery school "trunk or treat". It was so fun to see the little ones. Charlie looks just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the past few years, younger folks moved into spots where older ones had lived and we have some littles in the area.
      They will all hit town on Tuesday when the downtown has a trick or treat at all the businesses on main street.

      Delete
  5. You have the best neighbors!! We have above average tree loss this year. One can only assume the increase was caused from drought.

    You picked a good costume for Charlie. He is too cute! Enjoy your neighborhood kiddos.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.