Friday, October 30, 2020

The Death of my Old Faithful Camera

 



I started to get these every once
in a while...see below...
so I knew it's time was 
coming to 
an end.


The Oak Tree was the last shot ever for my Old Olympus. I have no idea how many shots or 'clicks' were on it. 
Apparently there is something called a Shutter Count. Being a mirrorless camera, the count may last longer? The mirror doesn't have to flip up and down each time you use it.

Truthfully, I just read about that on some site regarding shutter life expectancy. 

The camera was having issues for quite a long time. However, being raised by a mom who believed that you had to get the 'goody' out of anything ever owned, I kept using it. It only worked in Program Mode or in Manual Mode for the past two years. 
That was fine. I don't think all the 'modes' are really necessary any way. Program Mode allows the camera to act a bit like Auto and pick a general setting that should work for the scene. Manual allows so much more control.

Anyway, I digress. 

Since I got the Old Oly, I have almost used it daily. I took it with me all of the time. It bashed around in my backpack. I'd purchased a nice sling pack for it which had a zipper failure so when I slung the pack over my shoulder the camera tumbled out. That was after I'd owned it for only two months. 

After two more zipper failures, I tossed the sling pack and opted for modifying a regular backpack for carrying the camera. 


Even the Little Soldiers couldn't fix it. The pronounced it a goner.

Of course the electronics just shut down. The cost of repair would be nearly two to three hundred dollars. 

I think I will wait to send in the camera I will replace it with, ---- my other older Olympus until after the election. I think the post office will be overwhelmed for a bit right now handling ballots.

I leave you with a couple of my recent favorites from this camera just before it gave up the ghost.




There is not a lot of opportunities for Infrared during the winter. However I think black and white IR light would still be stunning in a black and white type of landscape.

So why is it that I am having such a hard time parting with my old camera?

6 comments:

  1. We had a Nikon ONE and Cheryl dropped it off our 12 inch coffee table onto a heavy shag rug on thick pile carpeting.. It STILL broke! It cost 350$ to repair. Was cheaper to buy another one so we did ( because it was easy to use and took great pics.) then....IT broke. I can't even remember what the problem was. We could not continue to dump $300 on a camera so we opted for the cheaper version. But it is simply not as good. And it eats AA batteries for lunch, breakfast and dinner! Best to not take it out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have purchased pocket cameras that are supposedly drop proof. I look for drop proof/freeze proof/weather resistant cameras with Lithium rechargeables. They last a bit longer in the cold and survive me dropping them from my mule when riding, or my bicycle!
      I share your frustration! I used to have to carry a pocketful of AA's!

      Delete
  2. You got your monies worth and took so many gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a guy say he thought he could fix it. But I explained that the electronics were messed up and it only really worked in manual mode and once in a while Program Mode. I think back and realized that purchasing a knock off back up battery probably was what messed with the internal workings.
      New DSLR's and Mirrorless cameras are high tech now a days. I miss my old manual film camera in a way!
      Thanks, this was such a wonderful camera for me.

      Delete
  3. We get attached to cameras they are like trusty old friends:( Too bad the soldiers couldn't fix it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Little Soldiers seem to get into everything! LOL.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.