Friday, September 18, 2020

Wake up early

I wasn't going to go, but the Rooster alarm on my Smarty Phone woke me up. Fumbling to shut it off, I knocked my glasses off the stand and they landed somewhere in the dark with a clunk.

Oh great, I thought, now my glasses are trapped by the Dust Bison under the bed. Ah, well I'd rounded up those bad little Bison the other day so maybe not. I slid out of bed to try and find the glasses. 

Damn that Rooster. But it was pretty funny. I located the glasses and grabbed the phone finally silenced the Rooster. Well. 

Now I was awake. I hit the button on the coffee maker while I checked the weather in the valley. Cold with warmer air on the ridge. The little icon showed a car with foggy headlights.

Perfect!

That was exactly what I was hoping for a bit of valley fog and no winds to blow it away. The coffee burbled while I grabbed a pair of leggings to put on under my cargo pants. Charlie peered at me from under the blanket on the couch. I patted him on the head as I passed by to grab my to go cup and shut off the coffee maker.

And there I was. Off on a predawn adventure. I was glad I'd done a trial run in the daylight and knew about how long it would take me to drive there and park. 

I was feeling pretty optimistic I halfway there my dashboard computer dinged and gave me a message that I had a 'low' tire. Well, if that didn't beat all! I pulled over and checked the tire pressure dashboard gauge and the tire was down 3 pounds. I looked at the rear tire and decided I was safe to drive.

That icon on the dash board was irritating as all get out. I find the new sensors wonderful tools but almost too sensitive.

I parked, grabbed my over the shoulder bag and turned on the headlamp. I was glad I'd also brought a small but bright flash light. The start of the trail is wide but it was nice to see more of what I was getting into than less. 

It was an 8 minute cardio pounding hike to the final trail. I stopped there and caught my breath. The forest was still silent around me. No bird calls, just the sound of the trees and rocks. I know ... trees and rocks don't make noises. 
But they do.

And then I reached my goal and I was stunned. I sat down on the rock and pulled out my gear. I took a drink of water and waited and watched.


The lighting was tricky looking northeast but the shadows and light were amazing.
I turned southwest, the predawn light lit up the valley below...



I sat and watched the valley fog rise and move. It looked as if it were alive with a mind of its own. 


I had the whole place to myself and I felt as if Mother Nature was putting on a show just for me. Oh I know that is not true, but it felt like I was the only person in the universe to see this. 

And I felt very humbled.


Before the sun came over the horizon, I packed up and left. If I timed everything right, I'd be back home before Rich even woke up.
One more glance over my shoulder.


Amazing.
I didn't need a light to negotiate the trail back down and some birds started to rustle in the forest.

I hurried to the main trail but stopped by the huge oak tree.


The sun was making its appearance through the leaves. I thought perhaps that one time I would have enough time on my hands to stay and watch the light change in the forest below.

I felt I could have stayed for hours.
Perhaps some day I can.

Back to the car and that damned tire icon. 

I got home safely and finished making coffee. 
How calm yet excited and renewed I felt after seeing something so incredible.

And that is why I like to wake up early.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! I am so glad you went!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too. And this next time I will share it with a friend of mine, hopefully...if he can get up early and hike in the cool to cold morning!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.