Saturday, September 08, 2018

Customer Service where has it gone?

Since Rich has had his stroke, I've had to take his 2003 Diesel Pickup in twice for work.
Last year it was new brakes which were badly needed along with fixing a radiator hose.
The cost was pretty steep and the dealer that did the work delayed and delayed and gave excuses for nearly 12 days.
Begrudgingly I called the same place back to have Rich's truck get an inspection and they said it ran fine [good!] however the ABS sensors were not working.

Um. Okay. Quoted price for replacement. $350. Okay get 'er done!
My appointment was on the 21st. They said they'd have the parts on the 22nd.
They did.

On the 30th I stopped in to ask the status of the vehicle. The helpful/not helpful customer service guy sort of tried to avoid my question by saying that he had multiple tasks to do before he could check on my truck.

I leaned against his desk and said. "Fine. I will wait."

"He will get working on it today..." Customer Service Guy said finally.
I blinked.

On the 4th of September I walked in again. Customer Service Guy tried to avoid my eye. I crossed my arms and didn't say a word.
"He'll look at it today and ..."

I interrupted. "I need the truck you've had it since August 21st. I need to go get hay with it."

"Um. Um. Let me go check." He checks. He comes back and promises it will be done Thursday afternoon.
I don't hold my breath, but Thursday afternoon, the phone rings.

Customer Service Dude. "Um, we went to remove the ABS sensors and they are frozen to the hubs and so the hubs have to be replaced and they are ... $938."
So now the truck is finally getting worked on and they are finally finding another problem...

He continues to go on, "...and this sort of thing happens to older vehicles...."
I squint and start adding the figures in my head. And of course I am caught. The truck is now in pieces and they can put it back to gether for a mere...what???
$1,500?

He goes on again.."I promise it will be done by 10 am on Friday."

10 am Friday morning I am dropped off and walk into the service area.
Customer Service Dude looks harried and worried. I stand and stare at him. I am no longer the patient lady. I can see that my truck keys are not on the board.

"It isn't done," he says.
"We can deliver it to you." He offers.

I stare at him and reply, "Nice but the truck is my ride home. I got a ride here to pick up the truck." I must be a sight. An older lady with purple and teal streaks in her hair wearing a bright orange sweatshirt and jeans with work boots. Arms crossed.

Customer Service Dude seems to get a bit flustered.

"You know Chad..." that is the guy's name..."this is the second time in two years that your service people have made up excuses not to work on my truck. From now on I'll take it somewhere where they would like my business.

I could call my friend that dropped me off but I won't. Dude hands me the keys to a loaner which I know they don't like to do. It is a Cruze and not a truck.
I walk away stiff legged and furious.

When I get home I tell Rich we are going to the Carriage Show in Prairie du Chein for the day.
As we leave my cell phone rings.

"Your truck is ready."
I reply that I'll be there this evening or in the morning.
At least this morning I can drive the loaner in and not have to bother someone for a ride.

But this will be the last time these folks work on my truck.

I walked in this morning and looked at Customer Service Dude. He smiles broadly and tells me the paperwork and keys are 'up front'.
I can see him sigh deeply as I walk away to the service payment desk.

I ask the lady behind the counter to explain to me what the 'inspection' is I paid for. I'd asked for it and that is how they discovered the ABS sensors were not working properly. However they had missed many notable things.
Obvious things that I'd wanted taken care of. Back up light, tail light...wipers, I smiled and said these things I would have gladly paid for because my husband was in the hospital.
But now I will find a friend to help me take care of it.

She blinked.
"We are a bit short staffed," she offered.

"I won't come back here. I became spoiled by my Subaru dealer who makes an unpleasant job of getting your vehicle fixed rather pleasant by taking care of it and letting you know what is going on, how long it will take. When you write out the check for new tires you feel good about it." I smile at her. "And then they call you the next day to see how everything is going."

I begin to write out the check...and say...
"Here I feel like my truck was not worth anyone's time and no one really cared. Customer Service is going to make or break this place. And as far as I am concerned, it is not someplace I will return to. I'll drive 45 miles one way next time to take it to a place that may cost me more, but the service will be much better."

She took my name and phone number and said she'd have someone call me. I smiled.
No, no one would call.

The truck isn't noticeably any better, the brakes don't really feel different.
I'm pretty sure I got 'taken'.

However I won't be back, I will keep my promise on that.

Where has customer service gone to?

If Subaru made heavy duty trucks......
well...
sigh.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.