Thursday, March 22, 2018

Whistling Dixie...

How do you teach a dog to come when called?

I really did know this answer when I'd gotten Charlie. I'd just forgotten that I did this. I mean, I'd been calling dogs with a whistle from my own lips for so many years I've never even thought about it.
The year I married my husband, he had hound puppies that he wanted me to train for handling. The pups didn't have names and I couldn't help but want to play with them.
I found that a whistle got their attention.

Years later with Morris and other hounds that I raised, I'd do the same.

Dixie excels at coming to a whistle. She has never ignored it. Not ever.

I left the cord at home, but took a rope anyway [in case I have to put one of the rascals on a leash].
I let Dixie loose and Charlie followed. The idea is to let the big dog help the little dog figure out how to come when I called or whistled. Unconsciously I used the whistle anyway. When Charlie isn't paying attention, a sharp whistle brings his head up to find the source.

Charlie was learning two things. Come on the whistle and pay attention to where Dixie was and what she was doing.


Charlie could learn by example. After all, Dixie learned by following my jack russell, Morris.

Rich had a huge concern about Charlie being so small and Dixie being so huge.
Dixie has a very gentle temperament. She is also good with commands and will 'leave it be' if I ask her to.


Here Dixie is with Charlie after he tumbled. He squeaked and she came over to investigate. Finding nothing wrong with the wee one, she trotted off and Charlie followed.

I spent most of my time letting the dogs explore. When they got so far away, I'd simply whistle.

Dixie would turn around and trot to me then sit. Charlie would come on the run. Dixie's 'treat' for this simple command is lots of petting and cooing about how good she is. Charlie got his 'loving up' too. He wagged and wiggled and tried to avoid getting stepped on by Dixie.


Charlie learned a bit more about the creek. He seems to be saying to Dixie, "It is so unfair for you to have such long legs! That water would be up to my chest!"

Here is an example of calling the dogs with a whistle. Both dogs had been sniffing the interesting leaves and rocks when I whistled.


Charlie has to run while Dixie only ambles. But it is a fine sight to see. Both dogs coming without hesitation.

We will have many more short hikes where Dixie teaches Charlie to come and follow. Charlie's confidence is growing like he is.



He is adventurous and has a huge heart.

The whistle really does work. It works so much better than shouting a name at a dog all of the time.
And Dixie is a good training tool to have. She enjoys the outings too. No one loses this way.

Big Dog
Little Dog



2 comments:

  1. They will be good friends:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dixie will be a great mentor for Charlie, just like my Scout and Kelsey, plus Kris' Connor are great mentors for Bess. I can't whistle, but I make a chirping sound like a spring peeper that is very effective! You are doing a great job with both your dogs!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.