Friday, March 02, 2018

What Good IS He?

I walked into my tax preparer's office and sat down in the waiting room.

I knew I'd have a wait, but I also knew that if I didn't get this job done, I'd put it off.
I'd put in an application to look at a 2 yr old dog and a 10 week old dog on an adoption site. I figured to get myself 'approved' and then look around.

The phones were ringing and the accountant's daughter was trying to answer phones and keep her 3 year old daughter busy. I called Ginger over and asked her to show me what she was playing with. We talked quietly, she showed me her DVD's and told me who was in the videos.

Then she said something about puppies and I inquired with her mom when it was my turn to hand in my paperwork. The little girl scooped up a puppy and handed it to me. It was tiny! So little! And it looked like Dixie!

Mini Dachshund and Pekingese? Well. Not a terrier, not a robust large dog, but...
The little male pushed his nose into the space under my chin. Oh no. I was in trouble.
I had thought about this before. For me, trying to repeat a pet that has died and then always trying to compare the new dog to the old was sort of a mistake.

This guy would be a whole new experience.
"I'll take him."

I dropped off my taxes and then went to pick some things up. I wondered if I'd just had made an awful mistake. What on earth was Rich going to say?

When I picked up the pup, I announced his name. Charlie. Charlie The Tuna. Now those who may have followed me from a gazillion years ago would know that my father created Charlie The Tuna. He'd also worked on the Morris the Cat campaign.
Now you know where these odd names come from.

Charlie rode home with me.
I walked up to the porch and saw Rich through the window.
He didn't see Charlie until I set him on the floor in front of him.

A look of displeasure crossed his face. He frowned, he said. "I thought we were going to wait. And...what is this?"
"This is Charlie. Charlie The Tuna, but you can call him Charlie. He is mini doxxie and Pekingese."

"What is he good for?"
"You'll see."
In fact, I was pretty sure he'd soon see.
"What is he?"
I told him again.
"Good for?"

I started to set up dishes and food.
"He is black and tan colored," I offered.
"Hmm."
I put Charlie in his arms.
Charlie snuggled in.
Rich smiled.
That was what Charlie was good for.

Soon after Rich was telling me how to set up Charlie's dishes and food. He and  Charlie supervised my work.
Rich laughed.

We had to give Charlie his first 'crate session'. He barked while we did chores. I was feeding the bulls when Rich called up to me.
"I'm going in. Charlie is setting up a fuss!"

Charlie was being let out of his crate by the time I got to the door. They supervised my cooking.
We took a break for some play time. The Lime Green Grunting Hedgehog was a hit as well as the tennis ball chasing. They were huge though compared to him.


We decided to sit and watch a program on the couch. Rich arranged the red blanket so it was next to him. He reached down and picked up Charlie.

This morning Rich is having his coffee with Charlie in his arms.

What Good is He?
Oh, you tell me.

I think you have it figured out.

7 comments:

  1. Good for you! Enjoy every minute of your puppy time with Charlie, and may he live a long, healthy, and happy life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 - I didn't know you'd been around for a gazillion years, Val!

    #2 - I had NO idea your father was famous! I love that story.

    #3 - I think Rich is trying to steal your pup's affections.

    #4 - I think you're going to let him.

    #5 - I think Charlie is just the cutest darned tiny puppy I've ever seen.

    #6 - Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A door closes and a window opens. Charlie I think was heaven sent for many reasons... I am so happy for you and Rich! He is so dang cute, I don't think I could put him down either. Many ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Older and Wiser: you know a gazillion is a long time and some days it feels like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful new addition and obviously meant to be. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Love Charlie the Tuna. You were meant to be together and he is going to have Rich wrapped around his little paws.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was meant to be:) Enjoy the puppy breath!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.